Options

Navision Online help: ActiveX problem

alijartealijarte Member Posts: 30
edited 2006-05-09 in Navision Attain
Hello,

we are working with Navision over TerminalServer on W2003 server.
Our users get a warning whenever they try to open any chapter/topic of the online help, a warning pops-up.

It seems to be linked to the registration of the ActiveX controls used by the help, however, how many ActiveX controls could we find in a complete MS application online help?

Does anyone faced this issue before?How could it be solved?

Thanks,
Carlos
Ch.

Comments

• Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    alijartealijarte Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the links, they have been really useful.

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything myself.

Ch.
    Ch.
  • Options
    Michael_SchumacherMichael_Schumacher Member Posts: 81
    There is a workaround for this without deactivating companynotes:

The reason for this problem is HTML-Help. This is called from a Zone named Workplace.
    In Internet Explorer you don't have a chance to edit security settings for
    this zone, only for local network, trusted sites, internet and untrusted
    sites. This results in a little work with regedt32.exe (or regedit.exe).

this has to be done for every user on this machine, who works with navision help:

logon as this user and start regedit
    go to HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\internet settings\zones\0
    on the right You see some values. locate the Value named 1c00.
    this normally has the value 0x00020000 (131072).
    above this there may be 2 or 3 values which are NOT 0x00000000 (0)!
    set them to 0 and the active x message will not come up again.
    close regedit.

To see the diffference you have to restart navision....

hope this helps
    regards,
    Michael Schumacher

oh, what day is it? Backup day. OK, let's dump all data to /dev/nul ;-)
  • Options
    KeithMMooreKeithMMoore Member Posts: 59
    Other posts indicated that this ActiveX problem with Company Notes was supposed to have been addressed wiwth SP1. We have applied SP1, er-activated company notes but are still encountering the same problem.

Has anyone else had a different result or know for sure that this was supposed to be fixed?
  • Options
    Michael_SchumacherMichael_Schumacher Member Posts: 81
    Other posts indicated that this ActiveX problem with Company Notes was supposed to have been addressed wiwth SP1. We have applied SP1, er-activated company notes but are still encountering the same problem.

Has anyone else had a different result or know for sure that this was supposed to be fixed?

It was supposed to be fixed, but the problem was bigger as they could handle, so they simply deactivated registering the CompNotesHtml.dll to get rid of the problem, but, if you register it, because you need Company Notes, the same Problem exists.

Workaround is setting the registry keys as I described in my previous Posting....
    regards,
    Michael Schumacher

oh, what day is it? Backup day. OK, let's dump all data to /dev/nul ;-)
  • Options
    tlarsontlarson Member Posts: 27
    Michael, thanks for the pointers. That is exactly what we needed. I wanted to post some more to detail what we discovered and exactly what we're doing to resolve this.

Problem
    When using the Company Notes, you get an error message for every click you make in the help file. It's really, really, really annoying. The solution we were given was to unregister the CompanyNotes.dll file, which turns off the CompanyNotes feature - not something we wanted to do.

Error Message
    An ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe to interact with other parts of the page. Do you want to allow this interaction?

What's going on?
    This is happening because the Company Notes ActiveX control was not marked as safe when it was programmed. The Microsoft developers need to edit the ActiveX control and mark it as “safe” to use, and then this problem will go away for all customers. (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q161873, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q182598/).

Workaround
    We have to modify the security settings in Internet Explorer for the “Local Machine” zone. This is a hidden security zone, which means you won’t see it if you go to Tools – Options – Security (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833633).

To do this, jump into the registry, and wander on over to this key (note that Zone 0 is the Local Machine Zone):
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0

In order for this to work we need to make sure that three settings are set to zero:
    1200 (Run ActiveX Controls and Plugins)
    1201 (Initialize and script ActiveX Controls not marked as safe)
    1400 (Active Scripting)

After making this change, restart Navigator and the problem should go away. This change needs to be made for every user, because it deals with the HKCU hive.

One more note
    This wasn't a problem until Microsoft decided to enhance Internet Explorer Security (which is a good thing). ActiveX controls have been notorious for causing security problems in IE and in Windows. Microsoft is at least addressing the issue in part. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896054 for more details about this specific issue.
  • Options
    jherrettmbsjherrettmbs Member Posts: 1
    I have used the listed workarounds of editing the registry values for my client and while it does eliminate the ActiveX Control error upon viewing company notes, it does not eliminate it when the user attempts to EDIT a company note. The error message still occurs and is actually behind the application giving the user the idea that their PC is just locked up.

What are others' experiences with this? Is it working for all of you?

Thanks.
    James Herrett
  • Options
    tlarsontlarson Member Posts: 27
    I just did some digging, and it looks like there is one more thing that needs to be done to allow editing of the notes without an error message.

Open Internet Explorer. In the "Tools" menu, click on "Internet Options", then go to the "Advanced" tab. Scroll down to the "Security" section, and make sure that "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer" is checked.

Tim