Options

NAV 2013 R2 slow performance client

StefanPitStefanPit Member Posts: 12
edited 2014-09-22 in NAV Three Tier
Hi all,

At our company we have a seperate NAV 2013 R2 app and DB server (clustered). We just had the NAV 2013 app server and DB server installed but I came to notice that the performance of the NAV 2013 R2 client (on a destop computer) is rather poor. Even when I install the client on the server the performance is rather bad. The client just does not respond as quick as I think it should. With the hardware we have the performance should be pretty good but something is holding is back and I don't know what. I'm aware that my story is rather foggy and maybe not detailed enough but if you guys need any more details please ask.

Specs:

NAV 2013 R2 app server:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (x64) Build 9600
Computer Brand Name: HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8
CPU Brand Name: 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 0 @ 2.00GHz
Total Memory Size: 128 GBytes

MS SQL server:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (x64) Build 9600
MS SQL server: Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Standard (64-bit)
Computer Brand Name: HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8
CPU Brand Name: 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 0 @ 2.00GHz
Total Memory Size: 128 GBytes

Stefan

Comments

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,089
    -Check if the servers are in high-performance mode. Need to check that in both Windows and BIOS of the servers.
    -Check if you have some network problem
    -If they are virtualized, check on the host if they have enough resources.
    -use TCP/IP but not Named Pipes for communication between NAV server and SQL server (disable Named Pipes in SQL server and use Sockets and not default as Nettype in NAV server.
    -If you have an antivirus, don't let it check the SQL files (.MDF,.NDF,.LDF,.LOG,.TRN,.BAK)
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Hi Kriki,

Thank you very much for your reply and I will check upon it today.

Stefan
  • Options
    Tommy_SchouTommy_Schou Member Posts: 117
    Another thing you may want to check is the "Metadata Provider Cache Size" on the Service Tier. It defaults to 150 meaning that it will only cache 150 objects. Setting it to something like 500 or 1000 may improve performance for you. The first time you open new pages and functions won't be affected by this though but .. well you probably know how cache works :)
    Best regards
    Tommy
  • Options
    Hi,

I've checked all the things that was posted but I don't see any approvements.

-Check if the servers are in high-performance mode. Need to check that in both Windows and BIOS of the servers.
    Servers were allready in HP mode.

-Check if you have some network problem
    No network problem found.

-If they are virtualized, check on the host if they have enough resources.
    Servers are not virtualized.

-use TCP/IP but not Named Pipes for communication between NAV server and SQL server (disable Named Pipes in SQL server and use Sockets and not default as Nettype in NAV server.
    I've changed named pipes into TCP/IP and changed the Nettype in the NST.

-If you have an antivirus, don't let it check the SQL files (.MDF,.NDF,.LDF,.LOG,.TRN,.BAK)
    Currently no antivirus is installed yet. The server are still in a test phase.

-"Metadata Provider Cache Size"
    I've changed the cache size to 1000 and restarted the NST but with no significant performance improvement.

While working with the NAV 2013 client I see a slight performance improvement (due to caching I think) but when I open a salesorder I see that the client need about 2/3 seconds to show the saleslines. When the system is idle for a while and you decide to work on it again then the performance is worse again.
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    Is this in the demo company with default objects?
  • Options
    Rikt-ItRikt-It Member Posts: 37
    test to use IP-adresses.
    IT can be an dns-problem

Turn off firewalls on sql and nav-servers.
    Regards
    Christer in Stockholm, Sweden
  • Options
    JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    I have tried this, it turned out to be the antivirus !
    TrendMicro in the case.

Try uninstalling it on all servers.
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • Options
    Hi mdPartnerNL,

It concerns a database that's modified by our ERP partner. Perhaps I should create a Cronus test DB and test the performance again?

Stefan
  • Options
    Hi kriki,

My answer about the BIOS HP settings was a bit premature :oops: . I assumed that our hardware supplier had set the BIOS HP setting to the maximum but they did not. I have done this myself and I see a increase of perfomance.

Stefan