Options

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server will not start

awarnawarn Member Posts: 261
edited 2013-06-22 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

I have had NAV2009 SP1 set up on my local machine for a while, and use it locally about once a week (the rest of the time working on the server). Because of this I have the service set to be started manually.

Today I tried to start the service and got this message
'The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service.'

I am logged in just as I was before, I do not remember changing any settings on my computer in the past two weeks (it has been a week or two since I used the RTC locally). I have rebooted, SQL Express was able to start without issue.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this before, or if anyone can give me any tips on how to diagnose this problem.

thanks

Andrew

Answers

• Options
    OK well I fixed the problem.

I had changed the config file, and had not deleted a --> end of comment tag, and then once I fixed it in the config file the service started no problem.

Andrew
  • Options
    HanenHanen Member Posts: 281
    Hi,

I have the same problem. How did you do that???? What did you change exactly in the config file?

Thanks for help.
    :oops:
    Regards

Hanen TALBI
  • Options
    I do not remember exactly, but within the config file there is a lot of stray text, hat are comments, separated by:

<!--
    this is a comment
    -->

I had something like:

<!--
    Name of the database server to connect to.
    -->
    -->
    <add key="DatabaseServer" value="SERVERNAMEHERE"></add>

where the second --> was causing issues.
  • Options
    NASiNASi Member Posts: 48
    Hi, I had had, apparently, the same problem than Andrew.
    I'm working in a laptop (Compaq 6710b) with Windows XP sp3 and 3GB ram.
    I start my laptop with an user in a domain and with this user I do all my works, and the maintenance of all the software in the laptop.

I installed SERVER 2008 R2

NAV2009 was working correctly and the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server service was initiated correctly.

I detected a problem with my language (Spanish) because all the captions in language ESP without caption in ENU language were disappeared from the screen.

My decision :? was reinstall NAV 2009 R2 and this was the beginning of the problems.
    After install and uninstall all that I have conscience that are related with all of this, my situation now is that I have SQL SERVER 2008 R2, NAV 2009 R2.

I can start my database without problems with SQL with the classic client but if I want start the RTC I have not chance.

The Micrososft Dynamics NAV Server service do not start, and the system gives me the same error :
    'The Micrososft Dynamics NAV Server service on Local Computer started and the stopped. Some services ... bla bla ...'

The file CustomSettings.config, located at Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Service has not issues, and I compared this file with another in a PC that is working correctly and are equal.

Anyone can give me how to diagnose the problem?
    Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    clabandclaband Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 26
    Do you by any chance have another service running on the same port as the NST? If so you should enable the PortSharing service which is disabled by default

/Claus
    Claus Busk Andersen
    Program Manager
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
  • Options
    I'm sorry Claus, I haven't any other service with de same port (I have used cports.exe) and the port sharing is enabled, and I get the same error. ](*,)
    Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    clabandclaband Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 26
    Ok - Do you see anything in the eventlog on the server machine?

/Claus
    Claus Busk Andersen
    Program Manager
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
  • Options
    Well, all of this is running in my laptop.
    In the event log --> System I get two logs when I try to enable the Microsoft Dynamics NAV server:
    1. Success Id. 7035 : and says (I don't know which is the translation in English) that was sent a control to enable the service and it was ok.
    2. Success id. 7036 : (1 second after) The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server gone to Stopped status.
    Anything else remarkable.

:-k
    Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    Well, the Microsoft Dynamics Nav Sever was started successfully.
    Don't ask what I have done exactly, or why now is working. I thought it was a windows problem with users, domains, permissions, etc... but not.

I uninstalled NAV 2009 R2 and then I installed the 2009 R2 directly from the msi files, manually, one by one:

Application Server, Classic, Database, Database Server, Documentation, Role Tailored Client, and Service.
    After, I applied all the hotfix (6.00.32519).
    I started the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server and it was enabled succesfully. =D>
    (I spent 1 week, installing, unistalling, looking for in Iternet, Mibuso, and others ...).

Now I can execute the RTC without problem, I can work with the layout of reports, and so on.

The Spanish Module is not installed. This will be the next step and I will see if this is the reason that the service is not able to start.

I believe in black holes.
    Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    ChowdaryChowdary Member Posts: 148
    NASi wrote:
    After, I applied all the hotfix (6.00.32519).

Hello Nasi

What is this hotfix. I didn't find it on google, mibuso,....
    Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work
  • Options
    jai88jai88 Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

I have installed Nav2013 and Nav 2009 in same server in this case i face some issues while nav 2009 web services starting, please give me clear idea for manage this both server in same machine simultaneously.
  • Options
    thegunzothegunzo Member Posts: 274
    Hi Jai88

Don't use the same ports for both services or use tcp port sharing for both services
    http://www.dynamics.is
    http://Objects4NAV.com
  • Options
    jai88jai88 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Gunnar Gestsson,

I already segregate the ports for Navision 2009 and Nav 2013 The Details are following.
    Nav 2013 Ports Details :
    SOAP : 7047
    Client Port : 7046
    ODATA : 7049
    Management Services : 7045
    Nav 2009 Ports Details :

Server Port : 7049
    Web Service Port : 7051

Please Clear me what are procedures for this both installation and now i face another issue that is i run the page in navision 2013 is automatically open is RTC 2009.
  • Options
    thegunzothegunzo Member Posts: 274
    You should check the Application log in Event Viewer. Perhaps the user running the service does not have the required permissions for the tcp/ip port or for the database.

both NAV 2009 and NAV 2013 uses DynamicsNAV:// to start objects. The version registered to handle this type of URL will start from the developement environment. There are some solutions, I personally use a Page that lists all the objects in the database with a start button that works for pages, codeunits and reports.
    http://www.dynamics.is
    http://Objects4NAV.com