Options

Super Crash and inclompete database backup

jsnayberkjsnayberk Member Posts: 58
edited 2008-07-21 in Navision Financials
Hi everyone,

a customer of us recently suffered a server hard disk crash. The data recovery company which was involved to recover the data reported that they can´t recover data.
Since September 2007 the backups written on tape are incomplete. Only 4 of 6 *.fbk files of the the backup have been written to the tape.

Now my question: Is there any chance to restore something usefull out of theses 4 parts? (Version 2.60) Any tricks or hacks?
Any proposal will be appreciated.

Regards
--
Josef Snayberk

Comments

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    No, you need all the files.
    The only hope really is the disks. Maybe if something is damaged, you have to hope it is parts of the DB where the indexes are. In this case you can make a Navision backup (that doesn't use the indexes) and restore it in a new DB.

Or that someone made his own backup a short time ago. You should ask if someone has.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    This will be very hard and costly. There is tool called C/Dart, which is not available for partners, I do not know if Microsoft knows how to use it or if they still are able to use it and how much it cost, but what I know (and it is just what I heard) is, that it is able to access the corrupted database and read data which can be read... but this will be Critical service incident through your partner to Microsoft. It cannot be done though forum...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Timo_LässerTimo_Lässer Member Posts: 481
    jsnayberk wrote:
    a customer of us recently suffered a server hard disk crash.
    Could it be, that your customer asked the same on MSDynamics.de?
    Timo Lässer
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer since 1997
    MSDynamics.de - German Microsoft Dynamics Community - member of [clip]
  • Options
    jsnayberkjsnayberk Member Posts: 58
    Hello Kine, Kriki,

thanks for your input. I thought that it will be hard.

Timo,

as far as I know the name of the poster is not attached to our customer. However it could be posted by the hardware partner of our customer. The scenario described sounds very similar to the problem of our customer, except that regarding my informations two parts out of six are missing and the poster talks about two out of seven.

Regards
    --
    Josef Snayberk