Options

Upgrade to SP3

akmanakman Member Posts: 67
Hi,
I have two databases. The one is Navision 4 and the other is Navision 4 SP2. I want to upgrade both of them to Navision SP3.
My first problem is that I can't have on the same pc two versions of NAV installed (SP2 & SP3). I don't know if this can be solved.
The second problem is that I have never upgraded a database. If I make the customer's customizations to a SP3 database and restore the data of the 4 database (the customer's database) is that enough? Must I do something with the data ?
It would be really great if someone could tell me the things I must do and the things I have to be carefull of, because all the documents I have found, seem very confusing (maybe they are not the right documents).
Please tell me if the process is different between the 4 and 4SP2.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    NikkNikk Member Posts: 49
    For the first question -you can copy the client folders of different versions and run from there.

See http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... o+versions

For the second,please see the upgrade webcast in the downloads section....
  • Options
    vaibhavgoel_1vaibhavgoel_1 Member Posts: 7
    You can install different versions using new or custm installation. Also copying the Navision folder to your disk and using fin.exe file of that version.

You can use devloper toolkit. Export all fobs of SP2 client DB and SP3 standard database in txt format for Developer toolkit. Can compare them and make customised changes manually in SP3 DB. For data migration from SP2 to SP3. you have two codeunits with Devloper toolkit. You can take help of Manaul with Developer Toolkit. Make sure you do not miss any customised field added to SP3 and length and type of fields be same during data migration.
  • Options
    vaibhavgoel_1vaibhavgoel_1 Member Posts: 7
    Also you can use Merge functionality in Devloper Toolkit to make your changes reflected automatically instead of making them manually from SP2 to SP3.
  • Options
    For different versions in the past (v 3,7 & 4), the custom installation worked, but 4 SP2 with 4SP3 it doesn't work.

A simple restore to a customized SP3 database would do the job, or I must do something for the data?

Now I am going to watch the webcast!
  • Options
    ArhontisArhontis Member Posts: 667
    Hello akman,

The method I use is to download the Greek upgrade toolkit for the database I am interested (4.3 in your case).

Then I use the w1w1upgr.pdf of that toolkit to see what needs to be done and the upgrade quickguide for more narrow info (the steps).

Since you are going from ver 4 to ver 4, you don't need any modifications (made automatically with the toolkit). So, you must compare and merge the objects you have on your customer with the new objects in SP3 and decide what to keep and what to throw away.

I have made 6 or 7 migrations so far and I have used the developers toolkit but I had no luck with it. I tried Beyond Compare but it was too slow.

I finally used the Araxis Merge and I think is the best tool for that kind of a job.

I extract all the objects of the customer, customer base version, new version to txt file. Then I split that file with the object file splitter found in mibuso and put all txt files of each file to a separate folder. Then I do a folder compare with the araxis merge and I can which object is different and which not, and what exactly is different.

I restore a 4.3 (new version) database and do all the modifications there by hand or import objects when the base cust version and the 4.3 is the same and I have made modifications to the cust db, I also note the areas that have many additions or changes for later testing.

At the end I export ALL the objects at a fob from that database (4.3 I used to make the modifications) and keep it safely.

For the actual migration I make a backup of the productive database and then I restore it with a 4.3 client, or open the actual productive database with the new client (4.3 in your case) and answer yes to the convert confirmations (twice).

After the conversion, or the backup restoration I import the fob I exported earlier, compile all objects, resolve problems, e.t.c.

I do this first to create a test database (use as productive an up to date new backup) to give to users or consultants to test the functionality and the report outputs to compare with an identical but with the earlier version of Nav.

When the test is finished and all is ok, then I am ready to do it on the actual productive database.

I hope I helped you a little, it is a little complicated but after a couple of times you get used to it... You just have to be very careful at the compare.

I didn't mention why I didn't use the developers toolkit, it is because it crashed so many times and it didn't give me a secure feeling of the outcome, so I decided to trust my own eyes and hands...
  • Options
    Thank you Arhontis,
    your answer was very helpful. I will do the things you told me in a few days when I will start the second upgrade I have to do.
    The first upgrade which I have just finished was for a customer who had a few changes to the original objects, so I decided to do something easy (I don't know if this is the right thing to do).

1. I made a back up of the customer's DB from his NAV 4 client (no SP).
    2. I restored the cronus fbk from the SP3 cd, to a SP3 client.
    3. I made the customer's changes at this cronus DB.
    4. I exported all the objects of this DB to a fob.
    5. I made a new blank DB to a SP3 client and imported the fob.
    6. I restored the customer's DB to the blank DB (without the application objects). As you said there were no convert confirmations.
    7. I compiled all the objects.
    8. I WILL compare some basic reports.

Do you think that I will have a problem?
    Of course I' ve done the above in a test enviroment.
  • Options
    Hi,

I am glad I helped, as for the steps I have a minor change on 5 and 6:

1. I made a back up of the customer's DB from his NAV 4 client (no SP).
    2. I restored the cronus fbk from the SP3 cd, to a SP3 client.
    3. I made the customer's changes at this cronus DB.
    4. I exported all the objects of this DB to a fob.

5. I convert the productive database (or a newly backup database for testing) to SP3 by opening that database with the new client and confirm the converting. (sometimes it doesn't work and produces errors)
    OR
    5. I restore a 4 backup (of the productive or a test database) to a new really empty 4.3 version including everything (and the application objects) by using the 4.3 client. (never failed me)

6. I import the new fob from step 4.
    7. I compiled all the objects.
    8. I WILL compare some basic reports.

By using the method you recommend I am not so sure that it will definitely work. What I recommend above I think is more safe.

Just remember before doing anything tragic (converting the productive database) to make a safety backup first... :)

What tool did you use for the compare?

PS
    I Greece we have some problems when using the cancellations functionality for the 4 or earlier version, because there is no cronus database with the cancellations, but you must find the cancellations fob and import it to your "working" cronus database before make the changes the customer actually has.
  • Options
    Thanks I will change the steps.
    What does the converting do?

For the compare I used TkDiff.

The cancellation objects are in SP3. But the update for MYF Reports which was released for 4 SP2 was not included in SP3.
  • Options
    Hi,

AFAIK the conversion do some changes on internal tables, structure, values, but I don't have much knowledge about it...

All I know (the bad way) is that if you convert a database to a newer version, it is very difficult (almost impossible) to undo it... Happened to me by a consultant a couple of years ago... And was left hanging by my "balls"... lol

As for the cancellations/MYF, I usually build an identical base version with the customers but with cronus objects (not customer custom objs but with cancellations or MYF applied by hand depending what the customer has) to be able to make a three way comparison, which makes the compare much easier and safer...

Wish you best of luck... :)
  • Options
    Hi Arhonti,
    I tried both of the ways you gave me for step 5. Unfortunately when I try to import the fob I get a huge error about the item ledger entry table.
    This table is not changed in my customer's database.
  • Options
    I know...

It is because of the difference of existing keys on the Item Ledger Entry Table. (difference between 3.70 or 4.0 to 4.3).

The best way I have found to overcome this is to delete all the keys (except the primary "Entry No.") of your database (from the table at the object designer, not from SQL enterprise manager) and then import the new fob.

A good way to test it is after the import to open the table Item from the object designer by clicking Run. If it runs ok then you are fine...

EDIT:
    That problem doesn't have to do with the way you converted the database (convert or restore), it is only an object issue (I.L.E.) and encountered it every time I migrated to 4.3. I guess it is an one time problem.

You could contact MBS local offices or post an incident to confirm the way of the solution I have provided. I haven't asked them, but found that resolution by myself.

EDIT 2:
    If you still can't import, then export only the ILE object to a fob from the new database (cronus with modifications) and import it by itself and then import all the objects from the new objects.fob :)
  • Options
    You were right. It worked that way.

Which version of step 5 do you recommend? The second isn't converting the database and it is almost the same than the method I used. The difference from what I did, is that I didn't replace any objects. Something happens with the replacement?

And about the upgrade toolkit, I started reading the w1w1upgr.pdf (just started not finished :? ), and I see that it is for upgrades from older versions than 4.

Thank you very much for your help!
  • Options
    Hello,

I am glad it worked... I was almost certain, cause I have done it at least 4 times before :)

Either step (5) is the same. The first converts an old database to the newer version, the second way restore an old version database with the new client which automatically converts the old database to the new version.

I recommend using the restore of the database backup with the new client, which have never failed me (so far).

Just take some time to look at the Upgrade Quick Guide (two pages) of an older version and study the more general steps and not the version specific.

I always use the Replace All in the import fob worksheet. Replace all recommends and the Upgrade Quick Guide, so I recommend it too...

I am glad to be of help...
    I think the procedure of upgrading is the most challenging task a Nav developer is responsible to do, especially with a high customized client.

I have a couple of upgrades finished and waiting the customers to give the OK to proceed in the next months.