Options

NAV and SQL handling batch data

Taiki_YoshidaTaiki_Yoshida Member Posts: 3
edited 2015-07-27 in NAV Three Tier
Hello all,

This is my first post on Mibuso, so let me know if I'm posting incorrectly... (fingers crossed...)

I have had complaints from my client that an interface function which my team developed to create Sales Orders from a CSV file is "slow".
Now, my role has been to do some "performance tuning" for the past several weeks and one of the interesting results that I retrieved is how NAV (or maybe SQL) handles the orders if it exceeds a certain number of CSV entries.

Shown in the attached image, I could see that up to 7000 CSV lines, the trend was that NAV was getting "slower" with higher times taken to process each sales order. The difference been 1000 lines and 7000 lines was in fact, 33% increase in time / order.

However, what puzzled me was when I started doing tests for 8000 lines and above.
All of a sudden, the time taken for each order dropped dramatically and the trend was reversed as more the CSV lines I had on each file, the processing time for each order was getting shorter.

What I would like to know is what is causing this to happen?
Is it the SQL? Or is it NAV handling this? I'm looking and searching for the specifications but I've had no luck so far...

Many thanks in advance for your input!

Taiki Yoshida
LinkedIn