Options

Multiple NAV 7.1 instances on same server

MaWMaW Member Posts: 74
edited 2014-09-16 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

We would like to offer a setup where one Windows server can host multiple NAV 7.1 instances.
This is all ready possible if the instances share the program files library, just by adding a new server instance. The big disadvantage with this approach is that all companies must be upgraded simultaneously.

We would like at setup where we have fx 10 different companies running on same server, with different customization in their NAV environment. And we would like to be able to upgrade 1 company without upgrading the 9 other.

We need clients to log on over WAN from their own Windows client. And webclient is also needed.

Is this possible, and how?

Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Since we do it all the time in development. I do not understand your problem.
    The executables all need to be the same, but each customer can run his own application database with its own mods.

It would be nice if they add the capability to designate registry settings so we can run multiple platform versions too - but that only applies to executables.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Are you talking about different companies or different databases?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Hi,

I am talking about a hosting environment where we have one Windows server hosting let's say 10 different NAV customers each with their own NAV server instance and own database. At first they all run NAV 7.1 CU 5.
    NAV is only installed once on the server, and from there 10 different NAV server instances are running on the same NAV install. So we only have 1 set of executeables in C:\Programfiles\NAV\7.1...

Each instance have it's own SQL Database where application and data are in same database. No problem here. :)

The problem right now is if customer A wants to have Update 8 where changes are made to program files as well. Then we need to update all customers because they all run from the same executables.

So my challenge is to have the registry settings and program files separated as well. So we can update the customer totally independent of each other.

Or am I seeing problems where there is none?
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    For a hosting environment, shouldn't you be running virtual machines for each customer?
  • Options
    dave_cdave_c Member Posts: 46
    I agree with David that they should be on separate VMs, but I guess that is ok in a multitenant environment so maybe it is ok in your situation?

We do what you are tryingto achieve in our dev environments by creating the new services using step 2b in this blog http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/archive/201 ... erver.aspx
  • Options
    Thank you for the replies.
    No doubt that I would prefer a separate VM for each NAV instance in a live multiple customer environment.
    However it seems that this is not the case considering the NAV hosting prices on the Danish market.

Hosted/rented NAV is about EUR 75 pr user in an multitenant environment without any customization.
    The extra price for own environment/server (where customization is possible) is a onetime price of about EUR 400.
    In my book that indicates, that multiple instances are hosted on same VM? But again, I know nothing about hosting licences etc. So correct me if I'm wrong. :)
  • Options
    defiant701defiant701 Member Posts: 79
    MaW wrote:

The problem right now is if customer A wants to have Update 8 where changes are made to program files as well. Then we need to update all customers because they all run from the same executables.

Hi, that's the fun of being service provider instead of only VAR reseller hosting :mrgreen: But all jokes aside, client and application topics are separated, so you're able to update all instances at once (web components is more tricky since 2013R2). That's the technical aspect around and you can still update the functional aspects individually for everybody. That's why you should also use clickonce as the right way for delivering services to your customers (without having the need of challenging your customers IT guys).

BR defiant701
    Debuggers don't remove bugs, they only show them in slow-motion

LinkedIn
    XING
  • Options
    PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
    You can easily copy the program files\service directory to another location, and create a service from that, using the SC command. Each service then has its own set of files, which can be upgraded at will. No need to update all your customers at once.

The procedure:

1. Install NAV Service. It's installed in the c:\program files\microsoft Dynamics NAV\71\service directory
    2. Enable the NetTcpPortSharing service. Start this service
    3. Start an elevated command prompt. Type sc config MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer$DynamicsNAV71 depend=HTTP/NetTcpPortSharing
    3. Create a new directory, for example in c:\program files\microsoft Dynamics NAV\client1
    3. Copy all files and folders created in 1 \service the folder created in 3.
    4. Start an elevated command prompt (if it is not started already)
    5. type sc \\<computername> create MicrosoftDynamicsNAVServer$Client1 binpath= "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\Client1\Service\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Server.exe $Client1" DisplayName= "Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server Client 1" start= auto type= own depend=HTTP/NetTcpPortSharing
    6. Change some settings in c:\program files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\Client1\service\customsettings.config to change the databaseserver, the databasename, instance, and very important: the Serverinstance. All this can also be set using the NAV administration tool.
    7. (if necesarry: Change the login for the service)
    8. Start the service
    9. Repeat steps 3 to 8 for each new service.

I probably forgot some steps, but this is how I do it all the time. You can easily upgrade the client1 folder with the latest cumulative updates, while leaving the rest at an older build.