Options

Can NAS write files to VPN mapped drive/folder?

jumisjumis Member Posts: 6
NAS Guru Wanted !!!

We have developed a codeunit which creates a text file. When we specify a file path to a shared VPN drive/folder, NAS (3.7a) falls over and does not log any messages into event viewer. NAS logs on as a domain administrator, so it is supposed to have full permissions. The path we specify contains an IP address (for example, \\123.456.7.89\shared_folder\text_file.txt).

If we run the same routine manually, everything is OK.

There are no issues when NAS writes file to a shared folder on a computer which normally is visible within network.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Have you run this through code from the NAS machine? Just because you can run it successfully from your own computer does not mean that it should work from every computer in the domain. The IP address must be visible and accessible from the NAS machine for this to work.

I've had it working with a mapped drive letter, so you may want to try that as well..
  • Options
    Just additional comments ...

The IP address is accessible from the NAS mashine.

When we run the same codeunit from NAS mashine, Navision sucessfuly creates a file, however we are not able to get the same results through NAS.

Mapped drive letter doesn't help either.

](*,)
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I don't know what to say, I have had this working with both an IP address as well as a mapped drive letter. Maybe you can post all your code and we can take a look at it.
  • Options
    Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your readiness to help. We’ve spent many hours testing and we are coming to a conclusion that it might be a bug in NAS or some specific settings in VPN connection. Nevertheless, below is a simple test code that I’ve used for testing. NAS is not able to accomplish the 3rd part of the code. As soon as it comes to the 3rd MyFile.CREATE, NAS falls over.

// Write to a local hard drive
    MyFile.CREATE('c:\NAStestLocal.txt');
    MyFile.WRITE('Hello Mike!!!');
    MyFile.CLOSE;
    COMMIT;

// Write to a shared folder
    MyFile.CREATE('\\accounts\webtest\NAStestSharedCompName.txt'); MyFile.WRITE('Hello Mike!!!');
    MyFile.CLOSE;
    COMMIT;

// Write to a shared VPN folder
    MyFile.CREATE('\\192.168.1.13\d$\Navision\Import\NAStestSharedIP.txt');
    MyFile.WRITE('Hello Mike!!!');
    MyFile.CLOSE;
    COMMIT;

Best Regards,
    Mindi
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    May be that problem is the admin share used... it is not visible and it can be problem for Navision... try to save it to normal share, not to admin share (share your D with needed permissions)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.