Options

Hangs when posting in Journals, Sales Order, Purchase Order

gambitgambit Member Posts: 4
Hi Guys,

I have a client that uses NAV 2009 SP1(classic client). They have this problem in which it always hangs when they do posting in all forms like in Journals, Sales and Purchase Order, Item Journal. What could be the problem? Can someone help me on how to resolve this. Thanks!!!

Comments

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,089
    Does it happen on all workstations or only 1?

If it is for all workstations, it probably is because there is some endless loop somewhere. In this case you have to use the debugger to search for the endless loop.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    gambitgambit Member Posts: 4
    Hi Kriki,

Thanks for responding in my query. Yes it happens to all workstations. So I need to run the debugger of NAV before posting so that I will know where the problem is? And also do you think it has something to do with SQL? Thanks!
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Make sure the Automatic Cost Adjustment on the Inventory Setup is set to NEVER.
  • Options
    MaximusMaximus Member Posts: 105
    Hi,

I solved this issue once by disabling the automatic updating of Analysis Views
  • Options
    aseigleaseigle Member Posts: 207
    Alex Chow wrote:

While I agree with Alex's post that setting the Automatic Cost Adjustment to Never can increase performance, there is a tradeoff that you need to consider in doing this.

By setting this field to never, costs are not adjusted during posted, and are only updated when running the batch routine. Conversely, setting the field to always will adjust the cost during posting, regardless of the posting date, which I think is excessive.

Instead, you need to choose the appropriate value for your company based on the need for accurate costing with a tradeoff of database performance
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    aseigle wrote:
    Alex Chow wrote:

While I agree with Alex's post that setting the Automatic Cost Adjustment to Never can increase performance, there is a tradeoff that you need to consider in doing this.

By setting this field to never, costs are not adjusted during posted, and are only updated when running the batch routine. Conversely, setting the field to always will adjust the cost during posting, regardless of the posting date, which I think is excessive.

Instead, you need to choose the appropriate value for your company based on the need for accurate costing with a tradeoff of database performance

This is a misconception. Even setting the Automatic Cost Adjustment to Always, you STILL have to run the adjust cost - item entries process.

So if you have the run the process anyway, why bother setting it to always?
  • Options
    aseigleaseigle Member Posts: 207
    You are correct, and I should have mentioned that in my post. The frequency in which our customer's are running the adjust cost - item entries is much less than if the field was set to Never. While I don't directly interact with our customer, from what I have seen, most set this field to "Day," and the batch job is run weekly or monthly depending on the transactions that are taking place.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    All (well most :D ) of our clients set that field to NEVER and run Adjust Cost every day.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.