Options

Disable Help Function

scramblerscrambler Member Posts: 5
Hi,
I want to disable the F1 function key, because it doesn't really work on a handhelp with a resolution of 340x280. How can I do this?

Kind regards

Comments

• Options
    PeterDPeterD Member Posts: 66
    If you just have a couple of forms specific for that resolution you could add a MenuButton with F1 as ShortCutKey of a dummy MenuItem.
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Why do you have to disable it? If it doesn't work for the user they won't press F1 :D
  • Options
    scramblerscrambler Member Posts: 5
    @matttrax: glorious answer, thx! ](*,)
    @PeterD: Thx, I had this idea too, but unfortunately it doesn't work as expected. Anything I have to consider when creating this menuitem with shortcut F1?

Kind regards
    The button does have to visible and enabled for this to work. Even if it is just 1 x 1 pixel.

My original response was completely serious, though. Anytime something doesn't work as expected or a user does something they shouldn't the first thing people try to do is take the ability away. Instead of learning what the system can do the users become trained monkeys, knowing nothing but the instructions from their initial training.

It's a waste of development time when five minutes of training would usually do the job. I don't see this as being any different.

I'm probably ranting again. :oops:
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    you can remove the hlp file from the installation folder, my guess they will get an error that help file is not found an they can click ok.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    u must not delete all help files or folders it's enough to

1.) rename the master.chm --> like to master.chm_

If the user press then F1 he becomes this message:

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic
    The operating system cannot find the file C:\Programme\Entwicklung\NAV2009\Client\master.chm .

Verify that the drive, directory, and file names are correct.

OK

or

2.) rename the DEU and ENU folder like DEU_ ENU_

If the user press then F1, he becomes this message

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic
    The Help system has been corrupted.
    Ensure that the .hh files are correctly installed.

OK

so there is no need to develop anything in C/AL.

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • Options
    einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    matttrax wrote:
    Anytime something doesn't work as expected or a user does something they shouldn't the first thing people try to do is take the ability away. Instead of learning what the system can do the users become trained monkeys, knowing nothing but the instructions from their initial training.

It's a waste of development time when five minutes of training would usually do the job. I don't see this as being any different.
    I totally agree. Where is the benefit if the user gets an error message he can't understand instead of an online help in an useless resolution?
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."