Options

License Permission

MallyMally Member Posts: 128
We are using NAV 4.0 SP3 about 20 users.I want that my users can only view License Information by going Tools -> License Information, but cannot import,change and export License.How can we achieve this functionality? :-k

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) Import/Export works only with local license. Import means writing into client folder. You can limit it (but sometimes the client needs to write into the client folder). If there is no imported license, you cannot export it.
    2) Upload - if user have no permissions on master database, he cannot upload license (if your license is "per database", user needs write permissions on dbproperty table to be able to write the license)
    3) Change - is used by partners to temporary change of the license - it affect only the one client until is not closed. Why to limit it?

Question is - why they need the "read" acces there? You can create form based on the virtual table 2000000040 and you have same data without the buttons... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    MallyMally Member Posts: 128
    Dear Kine
    I want this because we have 20 users and any user can easily upload any other license who have view permission of License, that's y we want to restrict users to upload the license (we are using NAV SQL DB).
  • Options
    navuser1navuser1 Member Posts: 1,329
    kINE'S REPLY IS PERFECT. =D>
    Now or Never
  • Options
    Mally wrote:
    Dear Kine
    I want this because we have 20 users and any user can easily upload any other license who have view permission of License, that's y we want to restrict users to upload the license (we are using NAV SQL DB).

If users are able to upload license to SQL, than there is much bigger problem - they are Sysadmins on the server or have to much permissions on the server. Solve this rather than symptoms. You can restrict the access to the Tools - License info through permissions. Users do not need to see data about the license, if you still need them, use the form on the virtual table as I described.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    navuser1navuser1 Member Posts: 1,329
    Dear all,

I have a special requirement which is little different from it. It has been noticed some times that most of the clients try to use Developer License(collected from anywhere) for their data manipulation purpose (or RND).

This is very harmfull for both.

Is it possible to restrict the END users from importing/Changing/Uploading any other License except their License only.

Waiting for reply :!:
    Now or Never
  • Options
    If you mean by "clients" your customers, than there is no prevention other than tell them that if you find this out, all warranties from your side will be canceled. In most cases someone from the customer is SUPER user and have sysadmin rights on the server. It means you have no way how to prevent this person from changing the license.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Let that be a lesson to every partner out there:

Don't leave your partner license on their system, even if it is a pain to upload it every time you do work. And certainly don't give your license to them to do things with.