Options

Navison - moving into .NET

atarisataris Member Posts: 109
What you guys think about Navision moving into .NET?

Comments

• Options
    kauffmannkauffmann Member Posts: 56
    AFAIK Microsoft is developing a C/AL .Net compiler.
    A good programmer makes al the right mistakes
    My blog
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Navision 5 will still be C/AL.

The move to .net is unavoidable, but will take years.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    C/SIDE skills will be needed for at least 5 years after the next release of Navision, and if you are working for a solution center even longer after that. For as long as there are companies that run Navision in its current incarnation, there will be work for C/SIDE skilled people.

Regardless, there is no real need to know much of SQL, unless you get involved in the more advanced performance trouble shooting jobs where databases grow big or where functionality needs anhancing.

I'm afraid I can't say much about how much .NET will play a role in the next Navision version. However, if you look at what is coming down in the next Axapta, and what has just been released in the next GP, you will see where they are going with Dynamics. Of course .NET will play a bigger role, because that is the Microsoft flagship platform.

Also, go to the Microsoft website and search for the upcoming products, about their vision on the software architecture. See how much they emphasise connecting applications, and you will get a vague idea of what they are thinking of.
  • Options
    ShenpenShenpen Member Posts: 386
    Also, I am curious how to move a non-OO language into .NET. Sound quite impossible.

Do It Yourself is they key. Standard code might work - your code surely works.
  • Options
    Well we will all be very happy then that you are not working on that project.
  • Options
    jesamjesam Member Posts: 100
    Also, I am curious how to move a non-OO language into .NET. Sound quite impossible.
    That would not be hard to do at all.
    You could use a flat namespace for everything (or no namespace art all), and treat all procedures in a code module like they were Public Shared Subs or Functions in VB. That way there is no need to instantiate any object and your OO runtime behaves just like a non OO runtime. Unlike what many people think, you don't *have* to use OO in .Net. Off course you lose most of the power of .Net if you don't use it, but it couldn't be more cripled than C/SIDE already is.
  • Options
    DenSter wrote:
    Well we will all be very happy then that you are not working on that project.

:mrgreen:

Mabye he will make navision more simple...

http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7955

Sorry; friday afternoon :-#
  • Options
    [-X :evil: :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

• Options
    You got yourself quite a reputation. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Yeah, I know I my frequent complaints make me look like being a complete asshole, but just try one project here, where people expect 300% boost of productivity when buying Navi and are quite pissed if they get -10% (and that's already to my effort, with standard it would be -60%). You know once I did a project in Denmark and another one in Austria and was quite surprised how users accept every kind clumsy, bad, unproductive, but "flexible" solution to problems. They sometimes even demand to leave the standard, flexible and bad functionality as it is and don't make it into something that works... completely amazed me. You know, places and expectations are just... different. :)

• Options
    KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    Shenpen wrote:
    If COBOL.NET is possible, C/AL.NET should be too. :)
    Kai Kowalewski
  • Options
    COBOL.NET? Wow!
    namespace IDENTIFICATION_DIVISION

? :D:D[/code]

• Options
    I thought moving from COBOL to Navision was an improvement, looks like I am wrong. :wink:
  • Options
    Shenpen wrote:
    Yeah, I know I my frequent complaints make me look like being a complete asshole
    No it's not the complaints that do that :wink:
  • Options
    Now I gotta figure out a witty answer for that :-k

:mrgreen:

• Options
    dlacabadlacaba Member Posts: 17
    I recently went to the GP 9.0 launch and it looks like they're shooting for a 2008/2009 launch of Project Green. In GP 9.0 you can *almost* develop completely in .NET. Almost makes me want to switch teams again. :shock:

In GP 9.0, Dexterity is still their main platform, but you can use .NET to tap into GP. You have new GP application templates in .NET with a set of namespaces/objects that link into a GP Application Instance. This means you can access Core GP windows from a .NET application. They also have objects that look exactly like GP Windows/Controls so you can create GP windows from within .NET, but you can also use other ActiveX controls such as IE.

I haven't seen anything for the next version of Navision but I can only assume that it will run along the same lines.
  • Options
    themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    dlacaba wrote:
    I recently went to the GP 9.0 launch and it looks like they're shooting for a 2008/2009 launch of Project Green. In GP 9.0 you can *almost* develop completely in .NET. Almost makes me want to switch teams again. :shock:

In GP 9.0, Dexterity is still their main platform, but you can use .NET to tap into GP. You have new GP application templates in .NET with a set of namespaces/objects that link into a GP Application Instance. This means you can access Core GP windows from a .NET application. They also have objects that look exactly like GP Windows/Controls so you can create GP windows from within .NET, but you can also use other ActiveX controls such as IE.

I haven't seen anything for the next version of Navision but I can only assume that it will run along the same lines.
    Didn't you just describe the next version of Navision, won't it most likely be the great plain project green program, and a set of tools to migrate Navision users to it. Before then there will be a Navision 5. that will change the look and feel a little more toward the project green.
  • Options
    You might be correct

But I hate the idea of migrating to GP, I like thinking the other way around. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    *itchy fingers* can't... but....want....to...reply..... :)
  • Options
    Do reply my friend :mrgreen:

We won't tell :-# :-$
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    :D <-smiley post +1 :whistle:
  • Options
    Keep it up Harry, you can stay ahead!! =D>
  • Options
    bruno77bruno77 Member Posts: 62
    Does anyone have updates on Corsica?

(check out 2 first links when google-ing on "Navision Corsica")
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I could only find a Dutch document which I am translating with translation program I found via Google (Google itself does not offer Dutch).

One of the interesting translated pieces is:

"On the market Navision 4.0 bring in October 2004 show our continuing involvement for providing terrible solutions"

I assume terrible was not the meaning intended....
  • Options
    If you post the link there are plenty of dutch members that can translate.

Please beware of the fact that most of the info on the internat are roumours that are not based on facts.

People who know about this are not allowed to say much. :-#
  • Options
    garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    M$ has 2 Ideas with the internal navision language (an statement of an friend of mine, working by M$ in Dublin).

The first: In future the C/AL (in easy modified form) will be implemented in .net

the second: the programming in Navision is with an (now available, C# ... VB) language of .net

In my oppinion, they will use the first alternative

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • Options
    Wow. This is very confidential stuff.

I am very sorry but I don't think is it appropriate if I translate this.
  • Options
    Yes this is internal Microsoft confidential information. Just about everything in this document is under NDA. Someone at Microsoft is going to get in trouble for making this available to the public. On the other hand... it IS a publicly available website, so anybody that speaks Dutch can read it.