Upgrading to Navision NO 4.0 SP1 - Dev. toolkit 2.0 SP1??

MrWhoMrWho Member Posts: 59
Hello! I`ve just downloaded Navision NO 4.0 SP1 and the Developers toolkit 2.0 SP1.

When I try to open the Navision NO 4.0 SP1 database in Developers toolkit 2.0 SP1 or Developers toolkit 1.04 I keep getting this "Database error: 1048" - which I`ve found out is/means a "Version conflict".

I`ve tried restoring the backup that came whith Developers toolkit 2.0 SP1, into Navision NO 4.0 SP1, and then open it in the toolkit, but whit the same result.

I`ve also runed the report 99003600 Upgrade to Version 2.00 whith no success.

Any suggestion or other way to use the Dev. toolkit for upgrading 2.6 to 4.0 SP1 ??

Comments

• MrWhoMrWho Member Posts: 59
    I just want to add that I`ve tried Navision NO 4.0 whitout SP1 and it worked fine with Developers toolkit 2.0 SP1...
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Which way you are using for importing the objects? In which time you have the error?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    When trying to open the database. "File --> Database --> Open...."
    Than you are using the Tool in wrong way. You need to open NDT database, not the one you want to merge. It is NDT internal database, in the NDT folder on special DB on some MS SQL. See documentation for how to use NDT.

After you open such a DB, you IMPORT .txt file with the objects or transfer the objects from some opened Client application (NDT is able to connect to client and pull the objects directly through this client).

The internal DB have same version as DLLs in NDT folder...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    With NDT there came DevTool.FOB and DevTool.FBK . I`ve tried restoring the DevTool.FBK into Navision NO 4.0 SP1 and then opened it in NDT. Also I`ve taken the database.fdb that came with Navision NO 4.0 SP1 and importing the DevTool.FOB , but both with the same result -> Database error: 1048.

I need to use / open / create a DevTool database before I can start importing *.txt objects for comparing, but I can`t open it and start the import.

Using Navision NO 4.0 without SP1 and just importing the DevTool.FOB and the use it in NDT works fine, I can open it and start importing *.txt objects for merging / comparing, so it seems like NDT 2.0 SP1 aren`t designed for handling SP1.

Any suggestion to how to deal with FIN.STX files would be appreciated. There`s been a long time since last time I`ve used the dev. tool. Cause Navision 2.6 wants too use a differen fin.stx file then Navision 4.0 during import of *.txt objects.. and theres no way of changing the fin.stx file to use after the first import into the database.
    1) To prevent problems with fin.stx, do technical upgrade of the 2.60 database (open it with 4.0 SP1) and export it there... same fin.stx will be used for export, you will not have problems with importing...

2) NDT is working with version based on CFRONT.DLL and others DLLs in NDT folder. If you replace this libraries with libraries from 4.00 SP1, you will be able to open database created with 4.00 SP1. But that you have DB 4.00 without SP1 is no problem... Once more: it is only internal database for NDT and there is no connection between NDT DB version and BD version you want to merge...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thank you very much, you`re a saving angel, it both solved my problem.

I always forget exporting objects from correct version :(

After replacing the CFRONT.DLL I got a new error message from NDT, so I then thought I just should replace all the files I could find in the NDT folder whith matching files from the Navision NO 4.0 SP1 CD .. and now it seems to work fine..

THANK YOU !! :)
  • jmjm Member Posts: 156
    Hi MrWho,

the NDT 2.0 SP1 needs it's own Navision database to store the objects ans this database should be created with navision 4.0 WITHOUT SP1.

The objects can you import into this database can be all versions (2.6, 3.10, 3.60, 3.70, 4.0 AND 4.0 with SP1).

here step by step:
    - start a navision client 4.0 without SP1
    - create a new database (minimum 600 MB)
    - create company
    - import the objects from DevTool.FOB
    - close this client

- start a navision client 4.0 with SP1
    - export all objects as text to a file

- start the NDT (devtool.exe)
    - import the textfile (change the stx file on keywords register if neccesary)

br
    Josef Metz
    br
    Josef Metz
  • ewen0010ewen0010 Member Posts: 4
    After replacing the CFRONT.DLL and all the other files the dev tool wanted when I tried to open my Nav 4.00 SP1 database I got a new error:

"The server and client do not have the same program version number"

"Database Error: 1111".

Any one got this error? Any ideas?

I've tried reinstalling the dev toolkit and creating a new sp1 database but with no success.
    1) Which DLL you copied where?
    2) Are you connecting to server or to file (multi-user or single-user mode)?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    I am tring to open the dev tool with a 4.00 sp1 database I have locally on my machine.

I have just reinstalled the dev toolkit again and during the install ive pointed the installer to my licence file and an fin.stx file it needed (which i found in the nav 4.00 client directory).

I then re-installed cfront from the Navision 4.00 SP1 disc. I then when I try to open the a nav 4.00 sp1 database, by selecting the database and the path to the cfront.dll file.

I then get the 1111 error.

Any ideas?
    1) which database? It is database in Client folder or in NDT folder?
    2) It is DB created by you or DB installed by NDT install?
    3) Do you need select the CFront.DLL? One is in the NDT folder...

It seems, that you are still mixing many things together...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Yes i guess your right. Ive been getting my steps mixed up because Ive been trying so may things to try and get it working.

I created a local navision 4.00 sp1 database from the navision client.
    I then import the fob of dev objects.

I then open the dev tool and try to open the sp1 database by selecting the path to the cfront.dll file in the dev tool directory and selecting the sp1 database.

I then get the error "The database file cannot be used with this version of the program" "Database Error: 1048"

I then closed the dev client, re-opened it and then tried to follow the suggestion of a previous posting of by pointing the open database dialog to the cfront.dll from the Navision sp1 disc.

I then get the error "The server and client do not have the same program version number." "Database Error: 1111".

I hope this makes more sense.
    Try replacing the SLAVE.EXE file with the one on your Navison 4.0 SP1 CD, that solved my Database error: 1111

If that doesn`t help, replace also all the other *.dll's you can find on your Navision 4.0 SP1 CD, that worked for me. After some help from "kine".

The thing that I`ve learned is that you need to use the same *.dll's and SLAVE.EXE files as the version your are upgrading to.
    Yes...

There is answer to "Why":

NDT is using CFront to open the database. CFront is using other librearies for accessing the DB - nc_tcp.dll, ndbcs.dll, slave.exe, dbm.dll. But because you are using CFront (frontend) from SP1, but the other libraries are from version 4.00 (backend) you got the error about the different versions of client and server... you need to synchronize this...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Yes. Great. Got it working. Yeah, I just copied all the .dll files as well as the slave.exe and fin.stx from the installed CFRONT directory into the dev toolkit directory and it worked fine.

Thanks to both kine and MrWho for your help