Options

Axapta virtual companies - urgent please

m_mancinim_mancini Member Posts: 2
edited 2012-11-04 in Dynamics AX
Hi All,

We are busy with several implementations and considering using a virtual company for our master data. I have heard some concerns that the performance is not good and that data is lost if tables are shared after "go-ing live". At the end we'll have global implementations all connecting to one server using terminal services (VPN). One of our companies are already live and the other beginning of December, so you can see that this is urgent. I'll appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Michelle

Comments

• Options
    kgauravkgaurav Member Posts: 32
    hi michelle

no data is lost in the case of virtual company, at max what will happen that the data will move to the default "dat" company. and that too when you for unshairing after oince you share the data.
  • Options
    HarishHarish Member Posts: 172
    Hi Michelle,

Setting up virtual company (VC) is a big planning task. Along with the master table you have to find out all related tables and share them as well. For example if you want to share item master, you have to share whole load of tables like InventItemGroup etc.

I don't have Axapta in front but the idea is that you have to share all related tables.

If you have already have data in the tables before setting up VC, then probably you might have to export the data and re-import them back after VC is set up.

As with any other task, it is a better idea to have this process tested in test installation.

Last but not least as you are aware, it is not a brilliant idea to share transaction data.

Hope this helps and good luck with your implementation :)

Harish Mohanbabu
    Harish Mohanbabu
    Long way to go before I sleep..
  • Options
    roadsidetreeroadsidetree Member Posts: 2
    one of my colleague share the item master in Axapta virtual company, then he reliased he had a problem. The client was running std costing, and some of the companies has different std cost. and because he shared the item master, he can only have one std cost for all the companies.

http://www.prorsus.com
  • Options
    hriisikamphriisikamp Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

is there a list somewhere - which tables belong together and should always be in the same virtual company?

Would it be possible, for example, for a company with several independent branches, to have separate databases for each branch with separate Invent, Purchase and Sales, but common Ledger tables?

Thanks,
    Hando
  • Options
    benrazilbenrazil Member Posts: 1
    Actually, when you create a VC, all you need to share is the master data only i.e. vendor code, customer code, etc.

Caution!!! Do not share transactional data.

As Administrator, you have all the access into DD (AOT). Thus, before you create your Shared Table in VC, you need to
    create a Table Collections in the DD. You can assign into group or single table. After creating these table collections
    you can go to administration/setup/Virtual Company Accounts and drag the Table Collections into the Selected Table Collection.