Options

How can I Change Base Unit of Measure?

koaladokoalado Member Posts: 70
For some reason, I have to change an item's "Base Unit of Measure" from 'Gram' to 'Square Meter'. but there are already some transactions with 'Gram' unit. What should I do? Thanks in advance .

Comments

• Options
    ovicashovicash Member Posts: 141
    edited 2005-09-20
    koalado wrote:
    For some reason, I have to change an item's "Base Unit of Measure" from 'Gram' to 'Square Meter'. but there are already some transactions with 'Gram' unit. What should I do? Thanks in advance .

I would make a similar product but with diferent base unit of measure. You can block the first product if you don't need it anymore.

edit: of course if the inventory is 0
    ovidiu

Best Regards
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. But the Item No. is from headquarter, so I can't change it. Any other choice?
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It is possible to change the base units (through report created for this case), but I highly recommand to NOT DOING THIS mainly if there are entries for this item. It is not possible to keep all things correct (all connected entries on warehouse etc.). We tried it once, and it was VERY bad experience.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    DimosDimos Member Posts: 40
    Hi!

I think there is no much to do, you can only change the Base Unit of Measure if the Inventory value is 0 (zero).

So you can use the Item journal for this purpose...
  • Options
    Yes, but when you have some history and you are making reports about this history, it will be incorrect and when you are using for example average cost or charges etc., you can have big problem..., but it is only my point of view, I am not consultant and I did not ask about this my colleagues now.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Hi, all, you mean to do that, we should:
    1. Preparation
    a) Check how many Items have the problem.
    b) Unit Price for the New Measure Unit.
    c) Make sure the conversion rate between Old Base Unit and New Base Unit reasonable.
    2. Close all Purchase Orders related with this item (Finish Goods receive and Finish Invoice receive)
    3. Adjust Inventory to zero
    4. Change the Base Unit to new one.
    5. Do the reverse inventory adjustment corresponding to Step 3. Input the right unit price for this New Base Unit prepared in Step 1(b).
    What do you think?
  • Options
    jreynoldsjreynolds Member Posts: 175
    koalado wrote:
    Thanks for your reply. But the Item No. is from headquarter, so I can't change it. Any other choice?
    How about renaming the original item number and then using the original item number to create a new item?
  • Options
    jreynolds wrote:
    How about renaming the original item number and then using the original item number to create a new item?

I vote for this solution, if history is not needed...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    kine wrote:
    jreynolds wrote:

I vote for this solution, if history is not needed...

This is what we do too. Create a new item and transfer the merch thru the item journal. and to take it to the next level we have an "Alternate Item No" field on our item card. if someone accidentally enters the old item number on a sales order and the qty on hand = 0 it will automatically pop-up a message "Do you want to use the Alternate item? Y/N". if yes it automatically replaces the old item# with it's new one.