Options

Multiple companies NAS services

StefanPitStefanPit Member Posts: 12
edited 2015-04-04 in NAV Three Tier
Good morning to you all,

Maybe this has been answered somewhere in this great forum but I cannot seem to find is :(. In my MS Dynamics NAV 2013 R2 environment I've setup multiple companies in which I want to schedule several jobs. Do I need more than one NAS service fo my companies or can I run all of the jobs through one NAS service on my service tier?

Thank you very much for helping me!

Stefan

Comments

• Options
    navuser1navuser1 Member Posts: 1,329
    StefanPit wrote:
    Good morning to you all,

Maybe this has been answered somewhere in this great forum but I cannot seem to find is :(. In my MS Dynamics NAV 2013 R2 environment I've setup multiple companies in which I want to schedule several jobs. Do I need more than one NAS service fo my companies or can I run all of the jobs through one NAS service on my service tier?

Thank you very much for helping me!

Stefan

Your license is able to run multiple NAS concurrently ?
    Now or Never
  • Options
    You don't need multiple nas instance ( multiple service tiers for the same ) for each & every company.
    Now or Never
  • Options
    Do you know any disadvantages of having one NAS instance for multiple companies?
  • Options
    how do you run two different jobs* from two different companies at same time ?
    If one NAS instance is off then it will affect in all the companies.

[*time consuming job]
    Now or Never
  • Options
    We will have 2 wholesale companies with similar jobs from which is possible that several time consuming jobs will run at the same time. Also we have 10 retail companies which have different (mutual) jobs than the wholesale companies.
  • Options
    MarijnMarijn Member Posts: 69
    Hi Stefan,

It depends on your tasks. Normally, you will need one NAS for each company. However, you could rely on the CHANGECOMPANY statement to process data in multiple companies. This statement however has severe limitations. I assume you know these. In short: If your task does anything which is more complicated than setting simple values to records, the CHANGECOMPANY statement is useless, because it will not take any Business Logic into account.

Let's say, for example, that you want to post invoices in multiple companies (or execute any other business logic). What are the options? You could buy a extra NAS for each additional company. That would be the simplest solution, but also the most expensive. You also could buy one extra NAS, and with some clever coding, you could have one NAS executing the other NAS, with all the params needed. That way you can emulate lots of NAS instances with one extra NAS in your license. I am not sure whether Microsoft considers this to be proper conduct. I would not recommend it.

Third, you could rely on NAV webservices. Then one NAS calls a function in a fixed company, from which functions in other companies are called, taking into account all business logic. I think this is the best option, but likely not the fastest.

Greets.
  • Options
    Rob_HansenRob_Hansen Member Posts: 296
    That's an outdated approach Marijn. As of NAV 2013, a single service tier (NAV server) can run job queue jobs in multiple companies. No CHANGECOMPANY applies here, unless a job in one company needs to update data in other companies for whatever reason.
  • Options
    Hi Rob,

So in general I can work with one NAS service even for the more complex jobs?

Ps. the NAS service is still a somewhat of a unknown territory for me.

Greets,

Stefan
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    please read this

http://mibuso.com/blogs/ara3n/2014/02/2 ... -nav-2013/

One service tier can run multiple nas instances.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    ara3n wrote:

What does it mean by "One service tier" ?
    How is it possible to run Multiple NAS Instance without installing the same no. of NAS ?

Please reply.
    Now or Never
  • Options
    I also saw in a video of Waldo that it is wise to install a separate NAS tier so that in case you need to restart only your NAS you wouldn't have to also have to restart your NAV instance. Do you guys recommend this?
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    navuser1 wrote:
    ara3n wrote:

What does it mean by "One service tier" ?
    How is it possible to run Multiple NAS Instance without installing the same no. of NAS ?

Please reply.

When you start the service tier with a NAS with JOBQUEUE, it can start other NAS as background session. In a sense multiple NAS running it's own session and running jobs concurrently in one or more companies.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n