Options

Upgrade single report from NAV 2009 to NAV 2013 R2

delaghettodelaghetto Member Posts: 89
edited 2014-09-26 in NAV Three Tier
Hi guys,

I'm not doing a full migration, I just want to take a few custom reports from NAV 2009 into NAV 2013 R2.

I exported from NAV 2009 the report into txt format. Then I used the TextFormatUpgrade2013.exe to convert it.

When I import the converted txt into NAV 2013 R2 it says "You cannot import an object that does not have a DATASET section"

Any ideas on how can I solve this?

Comments

• Options
    majormarcell1988majormarcell1988 Member Posts: 20
    Hi,

I didnt use this tool but here is how i could upgrade reports from 2009 to 2013 R2:

In 2009 i exported the report to text and deleted the REQUESTFORM section.
    Then I imported this text to NAV 2013 Development Environment which has the Upgrade report function.
    In order to do that the report has to compile successfully so you might have to transfer all corresponding tables, codeunits etc.
    When you have the reports upgraded then you can export and import to 2013 R2.

Hope I could help.
    Regards,
    Marcell
  • Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    Does your report has RDLC data?
    means, is it working fine in RTC?
  • Options
    dhodho Member Posts: 6
    Does your report has RDLC data?
    means, is it working fine in RTC?

I have the exact same problem as OP. And yes the report works as intended in RTC. In order to map the dataset to Visual studio I had to use the old sections part in 2009. Now I need to Ensure a smooth Upgrade to 2013 when the rest of the system is ready.

I made a dummy report of a simple built in table and mapped in a couple of global variables. Placed a few Fields in the sections part and used those in Visual studio as well. Export. used the exe tool to Upgrade the .txt file. But no luck.

Any ideas are more than welcome.
  • Options
    Torben_Wind_Meyhoff[MSFT]Torben_Wind_Meyhoff[MSFT] Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 22
    Marcell is right.

The upgrade code from the Classic/hybrid reports, was only present in 2013 RTM.
    So you have to take your code through a 2013 RTM to change Section Layout information into a Dataset Report.

2013 R2 can import a 2013 RTM txt and fob export and convert the RDLC from version 2008 into 2010.

Best regards,
    Torben
    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”
  • Options
    dhodho Member Posts: 6
    Confirmed. Issue resolved. Not very intuitive solution though, but works.
  • Options
    tbouaklinetbouakline Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    I confirm, having the same problem, i used Nav 2013 to import .txt (Compile and upgrade), then export to use directly from Nav 2013 R2.
    Best regards
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    What does this automatic report upgrade functionality do? I assume it is not generating you a RDLC layout based on the Classic layout? Is it generating a new RDLC layout (direct from DataItem structure) based on the old RDLC layout and can somehow magically recognize that a RDLC textbox that was linked to a classic Section textbox that had a SourceExpression of "Item No." can now be directly linked to the same field in the DataItem structure?
  • Options
    1ClickFactory1ClickFactory Member Posts: 2
    To avoid most of manual and not comfortable work you can use 1ClickFactory Report Upgrade Tool. It will automatically upgrade report and create layout, which will need only small fixes such as create visibilities, header or footer. It automatically transforms between 60% and 100% of the Classic report and it transforms reports from versions as old as NAV 1.3 to NAV 2013 and NAV 2013 R2, supporting all localizations and W1. Check 1ClickFactory webpage for more information if you are interested. You can get a free trial too.

If you do not want to use mentioned tool you need to create dummy database in NAV2013 with NAV2009 objects without Forms and Dataports. Also before importing NAV2009 or earlier version report objects to NAV2013 database you could use standard “TransformationTool” from NAV installation cd to upgrade request forms to request page automatically. After all objects import to NAV2013 database compile all reports. When use menu tab Tools -> Upgrade Reports functionality. After this export reports and import to NAV2013R2 database. Now you should be able to finish upgrade and create layout manual.

Karolis Vansevičius,
    Developer at 1ClickFactory
  • Options
    TonyDuarteTonyDuarte Member Posts: 92
    Just to add some information to Karolis Vansevičius, you can avoid the trouble to arrange the layout in a 2013 db and only do that in the 2013 r2 db.

But yes the steps will be:
    2009 R2 -> export as xml, use transformation tool to convert the request form to request page.
    import the report
    Tools -> Create Layout Sugestion
    export as fob -> import into a 2013 db
    make sure it's compiled
    Tools -> upgrade report
    export as fob
    import into 2013 R2 database
    Edit the layout.