Notes in RTC

eagle_eyeeagle_eye Member Posts: 130
edited 2012-06-13 in NAV Three Tier
In the Classic Client, if I wanted to transfer comments, I would load them into the Comment Line table, but I am now using the RTC and was wondering where the comments are being stored now for the Notes fact box.

I thought I might be clever and check the tables before and after adding some notes to see if any sizes changed, but that was not successful.

Any clues where they are now?

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It is same table as links...;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,088
    [Topic moved from 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum to 'NAV Three Tier' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• eagle_eyeeagle_eye Member Posts: 130
    Ah hah! Sneaky. Thank you. I see how it works now. Awesome.
  • psekarpsekar Member Posts: 15
    Hi

Note links are stored in table "2000000068 = Record link table" .

But the comments are not stored in the table. It is stored in properitoty format of RTC. Now it can not be seen.

Regards
    Sekar
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    psekar wrote:
    Hi

Note links are stored in table "2000000068 = Record link table" .

But the comments are not stored in the table. It is stored in properitoty format of RTC. Now it can not be seen.

Regards
    Sekar

It is not true... the comments are stored in the blob type field in this table and the text could be read from there. There is just special character at the begining (length) of the text and the blob is compressed by default. ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    I am not able to see these information in the Record Link table.

Attached is the sceen shot
  • Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    The data is held in the Note field. as this is a BLOB you can't just view it in NAV by zooming or running the table.

if you take a look at
    http://midynav.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-to-read-blob-data-and-export-into.html
    there is an example of how to export the blob to a text file.

regards

Ian
    Regards

Ian
    Thanks Ian for the details
  • Alex_LAlex_L Member Posts: 1
    Hello there,

you mentioned the special character on the beginning of the field:
    kine wrote:
    psekar wrote:
    Hi
    It is not true... the comments are stored in the blob type field in this table and the text could be read from there. There is just special character at the begining (length) of the text and the blob is compressed by default. ;-)

It looks quite messy with the "special character" when you print the "Notes" on classic reports:
    Like:
    ÕAus der Umsatzsteuervoranmeldung
    or:
    þBemerkungstext

Is there a way to remove the character? I already tried to remove the first 3 characters, but with some "Notes" it was ok and for others it was too much removal.

Furthermore if I stream the "Notes" from the blob it messes up the special german characters. In what format are the notes stored? Does not seem to be ascii or ansi or utf-8 or something else I have Codeunits for conversion.

Any ideas?

Regards

Alex
  • horinashorinas Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 4
    When the notes are saved in RTC it is done using a BinaryWriter. This method first writes the length of the string as a UTF-7 encoded unsigned integer.
    See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yzxa6408.aspx for more info.
    Horina Serbanescu
    SDE II
    Dynamics Nav Client
    Microsoft

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • almhansenalmhansen Member Posts: 117
    If i wanted to bring Notes into the system as part of data migration, how would I do that?
  • NightriderNightrider Member Posts: 10
    Hi guys,

There's a way to read and write Notes without purchasing, installing or writing any 3rd party app to do it. Here is a How-to on how to automatically write notes for RTC from RTC or Classic:
    http://www.sbsintellect.co.za/index.php ... nav-rtc-2/

Please let me know if this works or not.
    Vincent Connell
    Regards,
    Vincent Connell