Options

C/ODBC connection with Windows 7 64 Bit

LangballeLangballe Member Posts: 5
We are currently running Navision 3.70.B using a native database.

Some of our users use an application (for AutoCAD) that connects using C/ODBC. On their Windows XP machines that works fine.

However now they want to use Windows 7 64 Bit and the C/ODBC driver does not work.
During installation Windows 7 will report that the application has compatibily problems, but it can still be installed. In the ODBC Data Source Administrator I can see the C/ODBC driver but if I try to use it it will crash.

Is there any way to get C/ODBC to work on Windows 7?

Upgrading our Navision to a newer version is unfortunately not an option at the moment. We might we able to go from native to SQL, which would probably solve our problem. However, I do not know if we could even do that (We have 2000+ customizations to our Navision)

By the way, I do not need the Navision client on the Windows 7 computers only C/ODBC.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    C/DBC is not 64 bit compatible. How much RAM you have on the machine? Do you really need the 64bit Win 7 on them?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    LangballeLangballe Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply, although it was not what I was hoping :-(

The computers have 12 GB RAM, so yes I need Windows 7 64 bit. (And XP 64 bit is not an option)

The application that needs access using C/ODBC is actually 32 bit. It will pull some data from Navision and then use that to open a 64 bit AutoCAD Inventor 2011.
    I installed the 32 bit version of ODBC (same as we use on XP) and I can see the C/ODBC in the 32 bit ODBC Data Source Administrator (c:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe) However as soon at I try to use it or click the "Company Name" button it will crash. Window 7 32 bit has the exact same problem.

From what I can tell the problem is that the C/ODBC is not compatible with Vista and Windows 7 (regardless of 32 or 64 bit)

I quess I would have to go from native to SQL to get it to work :-(
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Biggest problem is that you are using Navision 3.70.B clients. This version is not compatible with Vista or W7. But when you do technical upgrade to use newer version like NAV 5.0SP1, it will be compatible...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    KatborgKatborg Member Posts: 2
    Langballe wrote:
    From what I can tell the problem is that the C/ODBC is not compatible with Vista and Windows 7 (regardless of 32 or 64 bit)

I use to have Win7 32bit on my laptop, where C/ODBC was installed, and did work perfectly \:D/

I have just upgrade to Win7 64bit, where I can not get it installed at all ?

But perhaps I'am using the wrong C/ODBC ?

Found the solution in another posts \:D/

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41369&hilit=C%2FODBC
    AndreB wrote:
    Navision ODBC is a 32 bits. For that reason you need to runthe 32-bits ODBC Administrator tool directly instead of the standard ODBC Administrator Tool that you find in Windows 64 bits.

Go to %systemroot%\Windows\SysWoW64 folder (Example - Click Start -> Run -> C:\Windows\Syswow64 and click on OK)
    Locate Odbcad32.exe & double click on the file

Now you can configure ODBC

Seems to work for me =D> \:D/

PS: We are using Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic, with a Version DK 3.10A (6.00) database

I have installed from the folder "NODBC" on the installations CD
  • Options
    KatborgKatborg Member Posts: 2
    :thumbsup: It works :mrgreen: \:D/
  • Options
    NormajmNormajm Member Posts: 82
    Katborg, thanks for posting the fix. Worked for me, too!