Upgrading from 3.53

rainergaissrainergaiss Member Posts: 43
edited 2009-02-13 in Navision DOS
Hi there,

I would like to upgrade from a DOS based version 3.53 to the latest Dynamics NAV. I just need the data since program code is near the standard edition.

What are recommended upgrade steps?

I would go this way:
Read 3.53 backup into a 2.6 Financials
Upgrade from 2.6 to 4.0 SP3
Upgrade from 4.0 SP3 to 5.0 SP1.

Any other ideas? Does anybody know if there is an upgrade toolkit that must be applied after reading the backup file into the 2.6 financials.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Rainer

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,088
    I don't know if there exists an upgrade from 3.53 DOS to 2.6 Financials.
    If there is, you can use the upgrade steps you proposed.

But if there is no such thing, I would consider it a migration from one (NON-NAV) system to NAV. In this way you just take the latest version, do some customizations the customer wants and make some programs to export the data from 3.53 into textfiles and import them into NAV.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I think that best will be to read the Upgrade toolkit documentation, because there is all described. Read the documentation for each target version how to use the upgrade toolkit to do the upgrade.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    u, from 3.56 the good old DOS version.
    I belive, there was an Navision update tool to update from DOS to fin 2.01.
    But i can't find it in my old folders :-( So if you find this u must update to 2.01 -> 2.60 -> 4.xx -> 5.xx

But this is a long way. Sometimes on this big upgrade step, (we have done this with some of your customers which we'Ve upgraded from 3.55 / 3.56 to Attain) its better to only transfer master datas and not all entries. Open entries we rebuild (post in Attain) or for G/L we post "account brought forward" (Saldovortrag). Open documentw we also rebuild (new post with the old Doc No.)
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • rainergaissrainergaiss Member Posts: 43
    I also wonder if there was really an update kit. As far as I remember, restore had a kind of built-in intelligence that was able to rearrange the data.

I looked on a 2.01 and a 2.60 disk that I found somewhere in my collection. There were only upgrade kits from the preceding version but not from dos version. And I did not find any documentation regarding updating from DOS.

In fact the master data are much more important for me since the only reason for this exercise is to show a potential customer how his data will be presented under NAV. Since his application is near standard changing the code is not an issue.

Does anybody have informations about an upgrade kit DOS --> Fin or is there really none?
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    I've asked this question to my good friend and upgrade expert Tom Wickstrom. This is his reply:
    While you can restore a dos backup into a 2.6 Nav DB it is highly recommended that this path not be followed. There are significant structural differences between 1.2 Nav and 2.6 Nav and these differences need to be accounted for during the upgrade process.

The recommended upgrade path would be:

Restore dos backup into 1.2 Nav database.
    Follow the recommended upgrade path from 1.2 to 2.6 and then upgrade to 4.0 then to 5.0.

A few of the significant differences between 1.2 and 2.6 that need to be dealt with correctly during the upgrade include Item Unit of Measure functionality and Report List functionality. There is much more but those are a couple to consider.

Upgrading Navision is craftmansship.

www.libertyforever.com
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You know I would seriously consider a re-implementation to NAV 5.0 instead of going through a4 step upgrade. Approach it as any other conversion, and do any custom development with a fresh start.
    this is waht i mean with: transfer master datas and rebuild the open entries.
    Thanks to you all!

As I mentioned, only the master data are really interesting for me. I want to show a customer how his (master) data show in a 5.0 environment.

Export from DOS and import would certainly take a long time as well, so, if I could import a backup it would make the whole thing easier.

I also do not want to change any code to present the data because there were nearly no changes in the DOS version.

So does anybody know where to get a 1.2 version? I would just like to try it - it's more or less for fun.

Regards

Rainer
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Well you could of course do a technical upgrade to 5.0 executable, but then you would not have the advantage of new functionality. I don't know if a simple backup/restore will work from your version all the way to 5.0 though.

Ask your partner for the 1.2 exe you're asking about, maybe they still have an old product disk laying around.
    The problem is that the partner I am working with of for is younger than the 1.2 is. So there are no older disks laying around and I have to keep on searching for such a disk (in German version).

I am sure I will find a copy some time, but if anybody has one, I would be happy if I could get a copy.

Regards

Rainer
    ask the guy's on partnersource. They must have this old version ...
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Thanks to you all!

As I mentioned, only the master data are really interesting for me. I want to show a customer how his (master) data show in a 5.0 environment.

Export from DOS and import would certainly take a long time as well, so, if I could import a backup it would make the whole thing easier.

I also do not want to change any code to present the data because there were nearly no changes in the DOS version.

So does anybody know where to get a 1.2 version? I would just like to try it - it's more or less for fun.

Regards

Rainer

Basically just create a blank 5.00sp1 database. Go to TOOLS -> RESTORE. In the field FILES OF TYPE select Navision Backup File *.#bk

And import the backup. You will now have the data from the dos version restored into a NAV database. Its now pretty easy to use CHANGE COMPANY and a bit of object renumbering to then create a new databse with all master data in NAV.
    David Singleton