Options

Halloween

Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
edited 2008-08-13 in General Chat

Comments

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    In Belgium, it's getting there ... .
    Stores selling Halloween-stuff, people creating there pumpkin-faces, ... . But definitely not a very big happening (yet) ...

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Halloween :?: Whats that for an stuff.
    I know "Erntedankfest" or "Walpurgisnacht" or "Oktoberfest" but Halloween <- this was a movie or 8-[
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • Options
    redhotmustangredhotmustang Member Posts: 91
    Halloween in Europe (Portugal,Spain,France,Italy, and so on) is still a very small happening (if one can call it a happening), but it is getting bigger. It's just a question of time and... marketing. Only the children are starting to ask their parents to buy them Halloween customes because they see them on some stores, few children though (I've never seen none wearing a costume, yet). And only in major cities. And there isn't, definitely door-to-door "trick or treat". That would be very difficult, because there no houses here, just appartments and nobody knows their neighbors.

8-[
    Redcodestudio: Web Development, FLASH & Webdesign (and a little NAV, in the future)
  • Options
    vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
    Waldo wrote:
    Hey, the "I" hasn't got two colors, and the "C" has three parts ... how do you explain that? :mrgreen:

just kidding ... love the logo!

In the US, they know all about Halloween, but do they know the expression : 'ants fucker'? U R, waldo, U R. :-k
  • Options
    vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
    Halloween in Europe (Portugal,Spain,France,Italy, and so on) is still a very small happening (if one can call it a happening), but it is getting bigger. It's just a question of time and... marketing. Only the children are starting to ask their parents to buy them Halloween customes because they see them on some stores, few children though (I've never seen none wearing a costume, yet). And only in major cities. And there isn't, definitely door-to-door "trick or treat". That would be very difficult, because there no houses here, just appartments and nobody knows their neighbors.

8-[

well, redhotthing, I think you are messing up EU-countries with New York, aren't you? No houses in Portugal, Spain, France,...is like saying there is no code in Codeunits :shock:
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    vanrofi wrote:
    Waldo wrote:
    Hey, the "I" hasn't got two colors, and the "C" has three parts ... how do you explain that? :mrgreen:

just kidding ... love the logo!

In the US, they know all about Halloween, but do they know the expression : 'ants fucker'? U R, waldo, U R. :-k

You're lucky I'm crippled at the moment, boy ... :mrgreen:

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,496
    [Topic splitted and moved to General Chat forum]
    Original topic: We have a new logo!
  • Options
    vanrofi wrote:

8-[

well, redhotthing, I think you are messing up EU-countries with New York, aren't you? No houses in Portugal, Spain, France,...is like saying there is no code in Codeunits :shock:

lol vansomething :D There are no houses, sort of speak.

I'm saying that, at least for me, (I live a big city in Europe) that are only appartment buildings, not houses. When I say houses I mean buildings like this one.

Those kind of buildings only appear outside the city.

I think that in New York there are also houses like that, but just outside the city. Whereas in another cities in America there are more houses like that, and less appartment buildings. Which is better for the "trick or treat" door-to-door tradition.
    Redcodestudio: Web Development, FLASH & Webdesign (and a little NAV, in the future)
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    There are many MANY apartment complexes here in the US, and all the kids in there celebrate halloween just as much. If anything, it's easier to hit many more houses, so they get much more goodies :mrgreen:

The type of house has nothing to do with how Halloween is celebrated. It is not the reason why Halloween is not celebrated in Europe.
  • Options
    I know that, but my idea was that it would be easier for children to go door-to-door in a neighborhood like Wisteria Lane (for example) with houses and not appartment buildings where people they knew lived (a more familiar neighborhood, where everybody knows everybody, like a small village). In opposition to going door-to-door asking people they haven't met.

Meaning that, at least where I live, this kind of tradition would be difficult to implement because children would only go "trick or treat" to friends and not strangers. This is our mentality here.

We are afraid of strangers!!! :evil:
  • Options
    I grew up in Holland, and most of my childhood I lived in a 'flat', and I knew everybody that lived in our flat and all the flats around our neighborhood too. Things must be different where you live, but everybody knew everybody back in those days, and I for one would have LOVED something like Halloween :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Ah, that how you know about football (soccer)!

Ok, in my building everybody knew everybody, but then people started moving and know there are only strangers. It is not a very large building, two flats per floor, 8 floors total. That's 16 families.

I bet that in a building like those in NY, there will be hundreds of flats, hundreds of families. It's impossible to know everybody, but the mentalities are different.

Are neighbors nice to children when they are "trick or treated"ed?

Here, I bet some people wouldn't even open the door, others would super nice.

We are nice people. Just a bit more suspicious about things.

Example:
    We would never give our credit card's number to anybody, in the US people buy stuff by phone giving out their credit card's numbers.
  • Options
    Well first of all most of the time kids are not out trick or treating by themselves, they have their parents with them. Then they don't go into people's houses, they stand at the door. Most of the time (at least where I live now) people sit outside with a big bowl of candy waiting for the kids to come around. The parents wait at the curb while junior goes and does the tricking and the treating. And yes everybody that participates in trick or treat is super nice. People decorate their homes, and often dress up themselves. Halloween is one of my favorites :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I find it to be a dying holiday myself.

I remember when I was a kid the streets would be packed with kids reunning from house to house.

today if i see 5 kids come to my house it would be a good year 10 would be outstanding.

Hey! more candy left over for me!
    Plus Oct 31 is pretty cold here not exactly fun for walking around outside for hours.

I see many parents just taking the kids to the local Mall and they trick or treat from store to store inside.
  • Options
    DenSter: I know that, but even so...

Simple question: what if there no more candies? What do the kids do for the trick part? LOL.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    edited 2008-08-13
    Main Halloween Battle Equipment ::
    1- Large tube sock filled with powder to pummel your opponent.
    2- Pocket full of eggs (usually used as a last resort when quick escape is needed)
    3- Can of shaving cream (non menthol because it burns eyes)
    Bonus tip - if you stick a pin in the cap of the shaving cream and melt it with a lighter, once it hardens you have a tiny hole for a long distance foam attack!
    4- Or replace the shaving cream cap with one from an aerosol can.
    5- If possible, steal a school fire extinguisher & let the fun begin!!!!

Disclaimer::I may or may not have done all of the things above :mrgreen:
  • Options
    lol the voice of experience, I love your detailed instructions on increased distance :mrgreen:

Don't worry about the kids mustang, it's the people that are out of candy that you should be worried about. one year, we didn't have a babysitter, so we left a HUGE bowl of candy sitting outside our door while taking the kids out trick or treating. When we got back not only was the candy gone, but the bowl itself too :shock:
  • Options
    lool

nice tricks. I'm going to try that one about the long distance.
    Well, if this tradition was implemented here I bet people would be nice to the kids. But the kids here wouldn't be so nice when tricking loooooooool