Options

3 short questions about NAS

navvynavvy Member Posts: 79
Hi everyone,

Based on the MSDN-article "Talking with Navision: Exposing .NET Components to Navision" I have developed a COM Automatation Server (AT). This AT needs to be instantiated through a codeunit:
CREATE (ATServer);
ATServer.test('Hello World');

Once the AT is instantiated, it will run on the "background" and listen for incoming events.
Note: When I run the codeunit in a NAV client, the AT is working properly. If I exit the NAV client or switch the company, the AT stop running.

My questions:
1. This codeunit should now being executed in 4 companies with a NAS (the NAS has only to start (run) the codeunit, that's all).
Is there a possibility to run this codeunit with the same NAS (start the codeunit in each company) or do we have to buy 3 additional NAS license ?

2. As far as I know, the NAS connect to the NAV DB under a specified NAV user account. Do we have to license this user separately or is this user included in a NAS license ?

3. If we need a separate NAV user license for the NAS (see question 2), is it possible to use an existing user for the NAS (the user works on the NAV client on the same time) ?

I hope you understand me, because my english couldn't be very good :)

Thanks a lot!!
navvy
Freelance Developer

Answers

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    1. This codeunit should now being executed in 4 companies with a NAS (the NAS has only to start (run) the codeunit, that's all).
    Is there a possibility to run this codeunit with the same NAS (start the codeunit in each company) or do we have to buy 3 additional NAS license ?
    You can use this mod for NAS Job queue to run for unlimited companies based on two NAS instances.
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=924
    2. As far as I know, the NAS connect to the NAV DB under a specified NAV user account. Do we have to license this user separately or is this user included in a NAS license ?
    Navision comes free with 1 NAS user, you need to purchase 1 additional license .
    3. If we need a separate NAV user license for the NAS (see question 2), is it possible to use an existing user for the NAS (the user works on the NAV client on the same time) ?
    Depends on your licensing. Are you using Named users licensing or generic user licensing?
    I don't have experience with Named user, because in US no company buys it, but with generic regular licensing, it's the number of users that are connected.

As for as your .NET automation concerned, I would instantiate one and in your events pass a parameter for the company it should run it and NAS can start the second instance based on link above and run it for that company.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Thank you for your answers ! :D
    You can use this mod for NAS Job queue to run for unlimited companies based on two NAS instances.
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=924

Navision comes free with 1 NAS user, you need to purchase 1 additional license .

That means, that we have only to buy an additional NAS license (~ $2000.-) and not NAS license + NAV user license (~ $2000.- + $3000.-) ?
    Depends on your licensing. Are you using Named users licensing or generic user licensing?
    For our 10 users we have 10 generic user licenses.
    As for as your .NET automation concerned, I would instantiate one and in your events pass a parameter for the company it should run it and NAS can start the second instance based on link above and run it for that company.
    So the NAS 1 will always be connected to company A. If there is an event for company B, NAS 1 starts NAS 2 and run the codeunit (which instantiate the AT at company B). After AT has finished all its operations, the codeunit will disconnect the NAS 2 (so NAS 2 is ready for the next event).
    navvy
    Freelance Developer
  • Options
    That means, that we have only to buy an additional NAS license (~ $2000.-) and not NAS license + NAV user license (~ $2000.- + $3000.-) ?

Yes you need to just purchase one additional NAS license.
    So the NAS 1 will always be connected to company A. If there is an event for company B, NAS 1 starts NAS 2 and run the codeunit (which instantiate the AT at company B). After AT has finished all its operations, the codeunit will disconnect the NAS 2 (so NAS 2 is ready for the next event).

Yep.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    There are also supported products that can do this. Here is a demo movie of the iFacto NAS Scheduler. This product is tested and registered at Microsoft.

A NAS license is not the same als a user session. As Ara3n said, one NAS license is for free. The user that you link with the NAS does not need an extra user session. For both NAS Schedulers, you need an extra NAS sesion though.

I never heard of named user licenses (probably never used in Belgium). User licenses usually are concurrent licenses.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    Thanks once again for all the great replies. :D

I will make some tests with the "NAS Job Queue" next week . If the performance is ok, it would be a good & easy solution (keep it quiet and simple)
    navvy
    Freelance Developer
  • Options
    You are welcome.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    :mrgreen:
    No prob