Options

Nav4 SP3 bug: "Another user has changed the definition

marco.morrealemarco.morreale Member Posts: 58
We are experiencing a problem with Navision version 4.0 SP3.
We get "Another user has changed the definition of the table xxx.." error.
The table definition has not been changed.

The error occurrs after the first occurrance of any error. At the second try we get the "Another user..." error.

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Marco Morreale
Reno Sistemi

Comments

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Try to compile all objects that you're using for this functionality (usually form and table).

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    also try to restart the server.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    We have already recompiled all objects and restarted the server several times.

The error occurs randomly in several tables (also standard Navision tables). Alle these tables definition has not been changed.
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    I think there must something be changed somewhere between 4.0 and 4.0 SP3 because I've noticed that if I add a new field, I cannot really use it until I log off and log on again to the database because I get the another user has modified the Field table error. And I don't remember it from older versions. Logging off and on again always helps so try this.
  • Options
    ...I cannot really use it until I log off and log on again to the database because I get the another user has modified the Field table error. And I don't ...

Strange thing is that it's not "Another user has modified the field..." but "Another user has modified the definition of table ..."

I think it's not data-related, and but object-related. Recompiling/Save as usually helps...

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    May be it is connected to some change of object cache to prevent overwriting new objects by older when recompiling the objects... #-o
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Shouldn't restarting the server help in that case?

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    Alle these tables definition has not been changed.
    With the newer versions ( started with some 3.X Version) it is sufficient just to look at the table design (without changing anything) for this error message to appear.
    Kai Kowalewski
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    We are experiencing a problem with Navision version 4.0 SP3.
    We get "Another user has changed the definition of the table xxx.." error.
    The table definition has not been changed.

The error occurrs after the first occurrance of any error. At the second try we get the "Another user..." error.

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Marco Morreale
    Reno Sistemi

I have definitely seen this exact error. But it was on version 3.70A on SQL. We tried the identical database on Native and it worked fine, and then when 3.70B came out the problem vanished. 3.70 also was fine.

We first discovered it in training pre Go-Live when due to some miss understanding,the IT guys set up one training database and linked everyone as clients.

Could it be that SP3 is looking back into the past and finding old bugs to resurrect [-o<

Anyway, we were not able to resolve it. Oh and at the time, MS kept saying that it was a "another user has modified the record ..." type issue but definitely the error was about table definitions. Rebooting would fix it for a short while, but the error virtually always came back. Also I can not remember exactly, but I think we were using a 3.60 database, but not sure if that was a part of the issue.

Beware off odd numbered service packs :evil:
    David Singleton
  • Options
    thaugthaug Member Posts: 106
    We had what was a similar problem with 4.0 SP1, except it would actually crash the client. My resolution was to absolutely make sure that everyone was out of Navision, and on my client I set the Object Cache to zero. Then I compiled all objects. Just for good measure, I even did an optimize.

In some cases, on objects that I knew were causing problems, I would save the object as a text file, then delete the object (as long as it wasn't a table), and then import that text file, compile, and that also seemed to work in some cases.

I had also gone to all clients (well my staff did) and changed the Object Cache on each client to zero as well, and deleted zup files in many cases as well.

Some combination of all of this stuff resulted in it not crashing anymore. This error is a graceful error rather than an all out crash that I was experiencing, but it sounds like it is the same thing. And that is that a client somewhere has an out of date version of an object or objects causing all types of problems.
    There is no data, only bool!
  • Options
    After some tests we found the follwing results:

Client Ver4SP3 + Server Ver4SP3 -> Error "Another user has changed the definition..."

Client Ver4SP2 + Server Ver4SP3 -> Ok. No error.

The tests were run on the same database.

So it seems the problem is with Client Ver4SP3 (Build 23305).
    We suspect the problem is related to a timeout on table locks.

Marco Morreale
    RenoSistemi
    Bologna, Italy
  • Options
    r44712r44712 Member Posts: 40
    We're getting this error too - very frustrating!

We expericenced the error with v4 and are still getting it with v4 SP2.

It doesn't seem to make any logical sense, but appears to relate to the change log in our case?

One of the palces it happens for us is on the Item Card - when an item is blocked/unblocked, there is a sequnce of checks that are carried out, as well as the user having to enter a reson for the item to be blocked. One day it'd be fine and the next it'll cause lots of problems.

Has anyone found a solution to this one at all, we've tried all the basic things so far (logout, restart, recompile, etc.)
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    May be that export to text, import back, recompile will helps you... (and using single user during that to prevent some collisions with object cache of others...)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    KyleaKylea Member Posts: 39
    I had the message above appearing whilst doing development in my dev environment V3.70 SQL. Initially I wrote a Codeunit to clear out any changelog setup/tables and logging. However even when I tried my processing again I recieved the error.

After reading this post I simply deleted my .zup file and then it all worked beautifully. Hopefully it is that simple for others. =D> =D> =D>

73's

Kylea
    VK6FXYL
  • Options
    r44712r44712 Member Posts: 40
    I wouldn't have thought deleting the '.zup' file would have anything to do with it, more the logging off/on (that you need to do to be able to delete the '.zup' successfully) that solved the problem. :-# :)
  • Options
    thegunzothegunzo Member Posts: 274
    Hi

I installed Windows Vista Platform Upgrade which upgraded the finsql.exe version from 4.0.3.23305 to 4.0.3.24080 and then this error started to appear.

I tried to delete all change log setup and that did not change anything.

The server is SQL 2005 SP2 x64 bit. The error does not appear when connected to my local SQL 2005 SP2 x32 bit server nor when connected to an SQL 2000 server.
    http://www.dynamics.is
    http://Objects4NAV.com
  • Options
    thegunzothegunzo Member Posts: 274
    I do some other research and here what I found:
    ISSUE:
    1) You want first the Fix "Platform update for Windows Vista"
    2) After implemented the fix "Platform update for Windows Vista", you have an error when you browse the ledger entries: Another user has changed the definition of the Cust. Ledger Entry table after the activity was started. Start again."

RESOLUTION:
    With SQL2005, and if you use any of the RECOMPILE options which were enabled with this update, then you must also update SQL Server. Otherwise you will get exactly this error when browsing ledger entries.

There was a hotfix for SQL:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930775/en-us

This hotfix is included in the cumulative hotfix. So if this is your problem you should install SQL2005 SP2 and then the cumulative update from these links:

SP2:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Cumulative hotfix package (build 3152) for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 is available
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933097/en-us
    http://www.dynamics.is
    http://Objects4NAV.com