Options

Technical upgrade to SP3

ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
Hi

I plan a techn. upgrade to SP3 to quite a few client machines. Since we do not have the option with automated software distribution I had the idea of just to copy a few files over the existing SP2 installation.
Is this a reasonable option? If yes, which files should be replaced?

Thanks
Thomas

Answers

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I do not recommend that. It can create more problems.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    fredefrede Member Posts: 80
    Hi,

I would say - no problem - I do it all the time...And have never had problems?

But if you are working with Citrix or Terminal Server - do a "normal" installation/upgrade...

Of course if you need certain integrations to work relying on other Navision components than the actual client-directory you should also update that...

Else - just copy the client-directory including ENU and other language directories...
    Regards,

Henrik Frederiksen, Denmark
  • Options
    MbadMbad Member Posts: 344
    Eventhough you can copy the client folder without any hassle when you are in your own environment without problems, on a clients computer i would do a full installation every time.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    frede wrote:
    Hi,

I would say - no problem - I do it all the time...And have never had problems?

Hi Frede,

sorry to disagree with you, but I don't think this is good as a "general comment"

yes I agree, in some circumstances this will work fine, and for some clinets there will not be a problem, and some registry entries are not needed. But just hat one member out there that tries this themselves and messes up is enough to say that it is not a general solution.

What if there are OCXs and DLLs that need to be registered in the new version, the list goes on.

I know a person that drives his car without wearing seatbelts, and he is not dead, from that you can not say the reverse i.e. that it is safe to drive without seatbelts. He is just lucky ... so far ...
    David Singleton
  • Options
    ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Ok, I won't do it. :mrgreen:
    Thank you for your thoughts on this topic.

Thomas