Options

Dev toolkit problem with compare and merge

PhennoPhenno Member Posts: 630
Hello.

I have dev toolkit sp2 and trying to compare & merge 4.0 to 4.1 versions.

Imported base 4.0
Imported base 4.1
Imported Custom 4.0
Started C&M with options for Service Pack merge (as described in docs).

C&M crashes totally after merging all objects and when I restart dev toolkit, I can see that it did create objects in new Version but i'm not sure that they are regular...

When I start Merge Wizard, or C&M again, it says that there is still unfinished C&M process and offers me to start again... After that, same story... Crash at the end (or close to the end).

Somewhere I read that there is another tool for this, anyone knows where can I check it?

Comments

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    The tool I use very often is Araxis Merge. But with this tool, you'll have to C&M manually (no wizard, no automatic merging ... ). The advantage is that you have all control and that you know what you're doing. Plus, I must say that you won't loose that much time compared with the dev toolkit.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    Are you sure you have enough DB-space for the merged objects?
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    @Waldo
    What would be step by step procedure for upgrade with Araxis Merge? I saw this tool and afaik, it works on text files and folders?

@kriki
    I have 2GB db. What would be optimal size? (Only 1 "company" is in db, which means, only 4 db version are imported and I do not receive any db error)
  • Options
    Phenno wrote:
    I have 2GB db. What would be optimal size? (Only 1 "company" is in db, which means, only 4 db version are imported and I do not receive any db error)
    The optimal size=enough space to do the merge.
    It depends. If you have imported the 3 versions. Check the space they take together and add half to that. That should be enough.
    E.g.
    -3 versions = 1GB in use
    -new version = 1GB / 2 = .5 GB (estimated)
    => DB must be at least 1.5 GB.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    kriki wrote:
    Phenno wrote:
    The optimal size=enough space to do the merge.
    It depends. If you have imported the 3 versions. Check the space they take together and add half to that. That should be enough.
    E.g.
    -3 versions = 1GB in use
    -new version = 1GB / 2 = .5 GB (estimated)
    => DB must be at least 1.5 GB.

I'm thinking something.. What IS my db size? I do import of objects only to my devtoolkit db. So, approx. 3 x Simmilar size of db, and we are talking about ~150Mb each... Ofcourse, it depends of how objects are stored in devtoolkit db...

Anyhow, my dbs are pure base versions and customer db is my, not too much, customized version. 2GB should be ok if I use your predictions.
  • Options
    If you import a full Navision-version in the DTK-DB, it takes at least 500MB. So your 2 GB might be slightly too small (crash close to the end!). Try with 2.5 GB.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    kriki wrote:
    If you import a full Navision-version in the DTK-DB, it takes at least 500MB. So your 2 GB might be slightly too small (crash close to the end!). Try with 2.5 GB.

I will try with that. I'm not sure if it crashes at the end of merge or close to the end. (It goes through few steps, first is merging of all objects, than something else, cannot remember what afaik....)

I will try with bigger db.... it runs slowly and resources cost is big... cannot do too much with computer while merging in process.. :'(
  • Options
    Phenno wrote:
    I will try with bigger db.... it runs slowly and resources cost is big... cannot do too much with computer while merging in process.. :'(
    I know.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    unfortunatly, it failed with 2,5G too...

seems i'll have to do job from a scratch :s
  • Options
    my bad, ignore This post.
  • Options
    This is generally how I upgrade using Araxis:
    1) Export all changed objects (changed, not created!) to .txt (from customized, based and new base version);
    2) Split the objects using the splitfile.exe on the downloads section of this site;
    3) Do a three-way compare and merge with the Araxis Merged
    4) Create your new db by export all new objects to fob and import it in the new db, import the txt-files you created with Araxis Merge.
    5) Compile All Objects
    6) Export all objects to .fob and you have your "Objects.fob" you need for your upgrade!

Good Luck!

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:
    This is generally how I upgrade using Araxis:
    1) Export all changed objects (changed, not created!) to .txt (from customized, based and new base version);
    2) Split the objects using the splitfile.exe on the downloads section of this site;
    3) Do a three-way compare and merge with the Araxis Merged
    4) Create your new db by export all new objects to fob and import it in the new db, import the txt-files you created with Araxis Merge.
    5) Compile All Objects
    6) Export all objects to .fob and you have your "Objects.fob" you need for your upgrade!

Good Luck!

hm... will try this.
  • Options
    jazzyjessjazzyjess Member Posts: 54
    Phenno,
    I have exactly the same problem too, it crashes at about 50% of the C&M, and i get "abnormal termination" error. My db is 2.5 GB !
    My co-worker were running the same process on his laptop and his crashes towards the end. We are scratching our head now....dunno what's wrong....we thought ToolKit SP2 is supposed to be better....anyway, what's the solution to your problem?

Thanks
    JJ
  • Options
    there were problems with it in version 2.60 ... and there are still problems with it.

Recently, I did a successful C&M with the dev. toolkit, BUT when exporting to text, I noticed some problems with keys that it didn't merge in some tables... . When it doesn't do that ... i thought ... what else it didn't do :?:

So I just went back to my trustworthy Araxis Merge ... . Takes a little bit longer, but you have a whole lot more control over the upgrade.

Eric Wauters
    My blog