I Love NAV - Enhanced Notes v2.01

AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
edited 2013-10-14 in Download section
I Love NAV - Enhanced Notes
The Enhanced Notes add-in is designed as a replacement tool for creating notifications in the NAV Role Tailored Client.

In addition to the standard NAV Notification functionality, this tool also allows you to send notes to multiple users at the same time as well as enter notes without drilling down into the card or document page. More additions are planned.

Please note that the automatic installation will only work with a NAV 2009 R2 database as it utilizes DotNet variables. As such this add-in has only been tested for NAV 2009 R2, but it should also work for NAV 2009 and NAV 2009 SP1 if you are willing to do a manual implementation.

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1380

Discuss this download here.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    I Love NAV - Enhanced Notes v1.01
    The Enhanced Notes add-in is designed as a replacement tool for creating notifications in the NAV Role Tailored Client.

In addition to the standard NAV Notification functionality, this tool also allows you to send notes to multiple users at the same time as well as enter notes without drilling down into the card or document page. More additions are planned.

Please note that the automatic installation will only work with a NAV 2009 R2 database as it utilizes DotNet variables. As such this add-in has only been tested for NAV 2009 R2, but it should also work for NAV 2009 and NAV 2009 SP1 if you are willing to do a manual implementation.

Version 1.01 - 02/09/2011:
    Corrects a compile error in the original due to a no longer used DotNet variable.

I Love NAV - Enhanced Notes v2.00

Watch a demo here: http://www.youtube.com/user/WeLoveNAV?f ... Q5kt4Shynw

Version 2.00 - 27/10/2011:
    - Active Directory Integration
    - Send notes to groups with one click
    - See the person's name or the members of the group (ToolTip)
    - Popups when new notes are received
    - Rich Text formatted notes (Bold / Italic / Underline / Lists / etc)
    - Grouping of notes sent to multiple people
    - My Notifications part to replace base part
    - Sortable columns
    - Outlook Integration to create a task from a Notification

Version 1.01 - 02/09/2011:
    Corrects a compile error in the original due to a no longer used DotNet variable.

• redkingredking Member Posts: 34
    HI,

we have just installed this on our NAV 2009 R2 test server using the automatic installer.
    (We had to change the FOB numbers as 50000 was in use).

We can post a new note but when we try to send to a note NAV crashes with the following:

Description:
    Stopped working

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: microsoft.dynamics.nav.client
    Problem Signature 02: 6.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 03: 4d030e65
    Problem Signature 04: System.DirectoryServices
    Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 06: 4a275e82
    Problem Signature 07: 9c
    Problem Signature 08: c4
    Problem Signature 09: PSZQOADHX1U5ZAHBHOHGHLDGIY4QIXHX
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.272.7
    Locale ID: 2057

As we had to change all the ID's (for the pages and codeunits) I am wondering if this has caused this issue.

Can you help?
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    System.DirectoryServices is used for the Active Directory integration. I don't believe changing the object id numbers would cause any trouble, and if it did it should throw a NAV error and not put one in the Event Log. Unfortunately "Stopped working" is about as not descript of an error message as you can get.

Some questions that may help:
    Does this happen every time you try to create a new note? Under any user id? Try using different users that have different permission levels.
    What happens when you hover over a user in the drop down list? Does it pop up with their name or group members?

During the save the add-in will perform a user lookup to determine if you have selected any groups and pull the appropriate group members so this is most likely where the error is happening.
  • redkingredking Member Posts: 34
    Of course! Our dev server is not on the AD!

So we decided to test on our live server (after taking backups). Sending message works fine but we have had to remove it.
    The old notes now appear as garbage which means we will lose our existing notes (we have thousands).

](*,)
    Feel free to send me some examples. It should work fine with the existing notes.
  • ringertringert Member Posts: 4
    how can i translate this tool?
    ringert wrote:
    how can i translate this tool?
    That's a good question. At the moment you would have to decompile the dll files (I use .NET Peek). Sorry I forgot to include the C# source in the download. I will add your request to the list of enhancements, though, as I think it is a good one. Some sort of easy to use, multi-language capability like NAV has. I'll send you a PM when a new version is released.
    redking wrote:
    The old notes now appear as garbage which means we will lose our existing notes (we have thousands).

Just wanted to check / request again if you could possibly send me some examples of this not working. I have not run into any problems when viewing notes created in the "base notes" part in the Enhanced Notes add-in.

At a minimum the next release will include multi-language functionality and "setup options" so you can turn on/off things like AD Integration, Popup Notes, etc. I'm hoping to include editing and deleting notes as well.
  • amit_110amit_110 Member Posts: 3
    Dear I am using enhanced note in my client Server, but somethimes i haveing one error that is .NET error along with some xml code, related enhanced note. could you please advice me why this error comeing? really i am having very diffulties
    amit_110 wrote:
    i haveing one error that is .NET error along with some xml code

Could you provide the actual error message? It's impossible to help without it.
    Thanks For your reply, i have attacheed image with this post,
    Here is details as a text also.

Error retrieving value in .NET Code:

An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 1, position 2122.
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, Int32 lineNo, Int32 linePos)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.HandleEntityReference(Boolean isInAttributeValue, EntityExpandType expandType, Int32& charRefEndPos)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributeValueSlow(Int32 curPos, Char quoteChar, NodeData attr)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
    at NAVAddIns.NAVEnhancedNotesAddin.ParseXML(String xmlString)
    at NAVAddIns.NAVEnhancedNotesAddin.set_Value(String value)
    OK
    That is a strange one. That error should be followed by the XML that is being passed back and forth. It would be right after the stack trace, but there appears to be no XML going back and forth. Since there's no XML, and apparently nothing at all, to parse it is throwing that error.

This could maybe be caused by special characters in the note. Assuming the notes related to this record are not confidential to your company, would you be able to post them here? Or perhaps PM them to me if you don't want everyone to see.

Can you confirm that you haven't modified any of the code in NAV at all for Enhanced Notes? As far as I can tell it is impossible for it to pass an empty string to the add-in. This is the Load method in the Enhanced Notes page. I'm not sure if you have developer access, but perhaps you could temporarily add a message here to confirm the XML that is being created?
    yes, i did not modify anything, i followed your step only, if you want i can give you access, or suggest me how i can give more details, my email id is amitdas@ibizcs.com, you can put me test email, i am not sure i m just helpless in this situation. please help on this issue
    Please see my response before. If you can send me the notes that are trying to load on that page it would help a lot. I'm pretty sure it's a special character issue. There are plenty of things you can do to try and reproduce the error in your own test environment, so you're not helpless. For example

1) Take each note, one by one, and recreate it in your test database on a new record. After you create each note, close and reopen the page, make sure that everything about that note works. This way you can determine the exact note that is causing the issue.

2) Once you figure out which note that is, you can start breaking the note down into segments. Does it have any special characters in the note, like >, <, &, ", ' or maybe something else?

3) Check all of the names in the Active Directory list that is loaded. Do any of them have special characters?

You know it is some sort of data problem going between NAV and the add-in, so look at each of the pieces of data. There are only notes and users. Start from a blank page / record and go step by step to try and recreate the error.
  • muntersmunters Member Posts: 6
    How can I create outlook tasks
    There is always the error message
    you need to give a to or cc or bcc name or group
    That's correct, a task has to be assigned to someone. In the add-in it will assign it to you, the current user. This is pulled from the email field on the User Setup table for that user.
  • l484241l484241 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Matt,

could you please have a look at the following screenshot(s) and give me a hint how to solve that problem?

Bye!
    Did you turn on the debugger to see where it fails?
    edited 2012-08-28
    Hi Matt,

I guess you mean to debug codeunit "Enhanced Note Install" in Classic Client, but it fails with another error: "Can't use .NET-Interop-Type inside the Classic CSide-Runtime." (translated from german)

Bye!

Edit:
    Hi Matt,

I advanced the local variables "Page Type" and "Object ID" to 60 characters which gives the error message attached below. Then I manually installed it on Navision-Page 42 (as stated in the manual ;)) and now the RTC crashes while saving a note, details are attached.

Bye!
    You can only use DotNet variables in R2 and then only in the RTC. You'll have to open Visual Studio and attach it to the RTC process. You should be able to find multiple tutorials by searching something like "Debug NAV RTC".
    Crashreport from Post above:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException was unhandled
      Message=Die angegebene Domäne ist nicht vorhanden, oder es konnte keine Verbindung hergestellt werden.

Source=System.DirectoryServices
      ErrorCode=-2147023541
      StackTrace:
           at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail)
           at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind()
           at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject()
           at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection.PopulateList()
           at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection..ctor(DirectoryEntry entry, String propertyName)
           at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyCollection.get_Item(String propertyName)
           at NodeList.Node.GetGroupMemberLogins()
           at NAVEnhancedNote.EnhancedNotesControl.get_To()
           at NAVAddIns.NAVEnhancedNotesAddin.NoteSaved(EnhancedNotesControl m, EventArgs e)
           at NAVEnhancedNote.EnhancedNotesControl.SaveButton_Click(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
           at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
           at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
           at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
           at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
           at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
           at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
           at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
           at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
           at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
           at System.Windows.UIElement.CrackMouseButtonEventAndReRaiseEvent(DependencyObject sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
           at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
           at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
           at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted)
           at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
           at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
           at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
           at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
           at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
           at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
           at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
           at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
           at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
           at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
           at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
           at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
           at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(DispatcherPriority priority, Delegate method, Object arg)
           at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
           at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(ApplicationContext context)
           at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.RunCore()
           at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.ExceptionHandler.ExecuteAndCatchExceptions(Func`1 execute)
           at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.ExceptionHandler.DoExecute(Func`1 execute)
           at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.WinClient.Run()
           at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)
      InnerException: 

Are you sure you setup the link to the Note Page correctly? Exactly as described? With the code and everything?
    Hi Matt,

some trial and error revealed that the last crash only happen if there is no active directory in the network. Is there a version that avoids using A.D.?

Bye!
    Not at the moment. It is planned for a future release, though. I'm hoping to make that available by mid September, but no promises.
  • karenh1karenh1 Member Posts: 2
    We have installed Enhanced Notes on a customer database. In the Sales Order and Purchase Order lists, if there were existing Notes, it will freeze up for a long period of time. At some point in time, it will bring up the screen with the Enhanced Notes section. In the FROM, I will have the proper userid shown, but in the TO, it shows a list of commas. If I look in the record link table, the records below are associated to one of the sales order that freezes up on me. I do not seem to have the same problem from the item list or customer list. Can you help me troubleshoot this problem?

Link ID Record ID URL1 URL2 URL3 URL4 Description Type Note Created User ID Company Notify To User ID Popup Parent Link ID RTF Note
    285507 Sales Header: Order,SO-141081 R:\Customer Permanent Files\Sales Order Attachments\2012\11-November\141081.pdf 141081.pdf Link 11/29/12 02:14 PM FM\Bevk Internet, Inc. No No 0
    286780 Sales Header: Order,SO-141081 R:\Customer Permanent Files\Sales Order Attachments\2012\12-December\141081A.msg 141081A.msg Link 12/03/12 11:20 AM FM\Bevk Internet, Inc. No No 0
    286782 Sales Header: Order,SO-141081 [url=dynamicsnav://bp-navsql:7046/DynamicsNAV/Internet]dynamicsnav://bp-navsql:7046/DynamicsNAV/Internet[/url], Inc./runpage?page=42&personalization=42&bookmark=224;JAAAAACLAQAAAACJ/1NPLTE0MTA4MQ==&mode=Edit Sales Order - SO-141081 · In-Speck Note * 12/03/12 11:21 AM FM\Bevk Internet, Inc. No No 0
    287541 Sales Header: Order,SO-141081 [url=dynamicsnav://bp-navsql:7046/DynamicsNAV/Internet]dynamicsnav://bp-navsql:7046/DynamicsNAV/Internet[/url], Inc./runpage?page=42&personalization=42&bookmark=224;JAAAAACLAQAAAACJ/1NPLTE0MTA4MQ==&mode=Edit Sales Order - SO-141081 · In-Speck Note * 12/04/12 01:17 PM FM\Bevk Internet, Inc. No No 0
    289384 Sales Header: Order,SO-141081 [url=dynamicsnav://bp-navsql:7046/DynamicsNAV/Internet]dynamicsnav://bp-navsql:7046/DynamicsNAV/Internet[/url], Inc./runpage?page=42&personalization=42&bookmark=224;JAAAAACLAQAAAACJ/1NPLTE0MTA4MQ==&mode=Edit Sales Order - SO-141081 · In-Speck Note * 12/07/12 12:58 PM FM\Bevk Internet, Inc. No No 0

The problem seemed to be due to the fact that the Parent Link ID was blank. I did also have this problem on customers, etc., but just hadn't run across the right customer. This is a closed issue, but I wanted to leave it out here in case anyone else ran into this problem.
  • karenh1karenh1 Member Posts: 2
    We are getting errors on only some of the notes that were existing at the time we moved to enhanced notes. We basically have to take down the service as we can't get past the error. Then we you log back in, it brings you back to the same order and starts up with the error again. Error retrieving value in .Net code. I have attached the error we are receiving. Has anyone seen this or have possible solutions?

I found that I receive this error whenever I create a note with either an ampersand or double quotes as part of the note. I do not get an error like that in the standard NAV database on notes that contain those characters.
    Just wanted to post something in case anyone was subscribed to the thread. I have submitted the source code in a version 2.01 that should be uploaded to the site shortly. I no longer have time to maintain the solution so I am hoping someone can use what I have done to make something even better. If anyone is looking through the code and wondering "what the heck is this for?" feel free to contact me and I will do my best to answer. Thanks everyone.
    I Love NAV - Enhanced Notes v2.01

Watch a demo here: http://www.youtube.com/user/WeLoveNAV?f ... Q5kt4Shynw

Due to a lack of time on my part I am submitting the full source code for the NAV and C# portions of the solution. Unfortunately due to a laptop failure the .NET portion is simply decompiled from the v2.0 dll files, so you may have to "put it back together."

I hope that someone can keep the solution going and maintain it, even build one for NAV2013 and future versions. All that I ask is that if you do use any of the provided code that you continue to make the solution available for free and promote www.ILoveNAV.com along with it.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

• AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
    Just to recap the Known Issues:

1. The old notes will make the system take a long time to load, and will be shown incorrectly, i.e. long list of incorrect recipients
    Solution: Open table 2000000068 (Record Link), go through your record in case, and fill in the Parent Link ID field with the Link ID field.

2. Do not input below char in the Notes:
    " (double-quotes)
    <
    & (ampersand)

All those chars will make the system crash:
    ---------------------------

Name cannot begin with the '"' character, hexadecimal value 0x22. Line 1, position 9101.

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Int32 pos, String res, String[] args)

OK   

'<', hexadecimal value 0x3C, is an invalid attribute character. Line 1, position 9100.

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Int32 pos, String res, String[] args)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributeValueSlow(Int32 curPos, Char quoteChar, NodeData attr)

OK   

An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 1, position 9101.

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, Int32 lineNo, Int32 linePos)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.HandleEntityReference(Boolean isInAttributeValue, EntityExpandType expandType, Int32& charRefEndPos)

OK   

Regards,
    Andwian