Navision SQL table names

RoddyMcLeanRoddyMcLean Member Posts: 101
Hi,

I need to access Navision tables for reporting purposes and other than . being converted to _ as in "CRONUS UK Ltd." becoming "CRONUS UK Ltd_" are there any other character conversions to consider.

Thanks
Roddy

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Have a look at File -> Database -> Alter and then the Integration Tab.

Here is a field called Remove Characters. These are replaced by an '_'.

There is also somewhere a SQL script that you can download that converts the tablenames based on this but I can't recall where that was.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    / are converted. & are not. In fact I think just . and / are converted.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I don't know what the impact is on using queries and stored procedures on large databases, but you can define synonyms in SQL Server and use those instead of table names. I have found this useful when dealing with multi-company setups where only one person at a time is running reports.
    I am guessing with a bit more work, I could find a way to make it multi-user.
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    just a funny thing...i think that some of you already tried to do this just to see what error is being generated :mrgreen:
    create a table named "a.b" and then another table named "a/b"... :twisted:
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    So, what is the result?
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
    The a/b table name conflicts with an existing SQL Server object company.dbo.company$a_b.

You must choose another table name or set the LinkedObject table property to Yes if you would like to link to this object.
    for sure!
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    Well, that is what I would expect.... I thought you're going to tell a new amazing story. :wink:
    Well, that is what I would expect.... I thought you're going to tell a new amazing story. :wink:
    no, unfortunately not an amazing story...sorry :roll:
    hopefully none of us uses dots in table names [-o<
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    Belias wrote:
    hopefully none of us uses dots in table names [-o<
    hehehe... I guess in this business only the sky is the limit. :wink:
  • RoddyMcLeanRoddyMcLean Member Posts: 101
    Thanks for the barrage of replies :D Good Karma to you all.

Roddy