NAV Upgrade

bteredesaibteredesai Member Posts: 129
edited 2015-03-24 in NAV Three Tier
Hi

I need to know the expert opinion about NAV upgrade. The aim is to decide on the best options.

I have to upgrade from Navision 4.0 to NAV 2013. Navision 4.0 is heavily customized.

As we all know there are many changes between Navision 4.0 and NAV 2013. So just wondering whether data upgrade should be done or not.

Any comments please.

Thanks,
Bhushan

Comments

• Rob_HansenRob_Hansen Member Posts: 296
    I assume you mean NAV 2015 now?

One big factor in making the decision on upgrade (upgrade data) vs. reimplementation (import master records and opening balances) is whether Jobs or Service Management are used. Those areas had some significant redesigns since version 4 so that migrating data in those areas can be a challenge. The other side would be the "heavy" customizations. If the table changes for those will be migrated forward in the same way, then the data upgrade would flow fine. If the customizations need to be redesigned structurally, then the data migration again becomes a challenge.

My preference is always a true upgrade (if it were my company, i'd want to have my complete history in the system going forward) unless the extent of changes makes it cost prohibitive. We did a couple upgrades from 2.6 to NAV 2009 and very quickly decided they would be reimplementations.