SQL Express in production environment

DoomhammerDoomhammer Member Posts: 211
edited 2014-10-31 in NAV Three Tier
Hello,

our customer is interested in upgrade to 2013 R2 CS. They are small company, current NAV is 4.0, database has 500 MB and they own 3 users.
Can we offer them SQL express as database engine? I think, hardware limitation of express is not issue for them.

Has anyone some practical experience with SQL express and NAV 2013 R2 in production environment?

I found this article http://licenses-microsoft.com/may-sql-e ... vironment/ whoch says, express edition can be used in production.

Thanks for any information.
Martin Bokůvka, AxiomProvis

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I'm not a fan of it, but I suppose you could. Provided you/they can live with the limitations.

Don't forget about the user/device CAL's. You still need those. They are not free.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    I had a couple of implementation in retail environment where the point of sale database are/were sql express.
    It worked out fine.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • DoomhammerDoomhammer Member Posts: 211
    what about CAL's? I thought, NAV license sessions will be enough. Can anybody explain, how are Express CAL's licensed?
    Doomhammer wrote:
    what about CAL's? I thought, NAV license sessions will be enough. Can anybody explain, how are Express CAL's licensed?

NAV does not include licensing for SQL. The SQL CALs apply to the end user systems. They can be based on "named users" or Devices. Depending on the client, there may not be a 1 to 1 relation between NAV and SQL licenses. Since NAV uses concurrent session licensing.

For illustration, consider the following examples:

Your company has 30 employees. 10 employees work each shift. There are 10 user workstations. You have purchased NAV with a 10 user license.

If you license SQL based on user CALS, you will need 30 CALS.

If you license SQL based on Device CALS, you will need 10 CALS.
    and this is valid for SQL Express? I found some articles saying SQL Express does not need CAL's
    Doomhammer wrote:
    and this is valid for SQL Express? I found some articles saying SQL Express does not need CAL's

I have seen those articles at times also. But I've never seen anything in the form of an official Microsoft EULA that states that. I don't really use SQL Express, so it's possible the my interpretation is incorrect. I'd suggest you download and read the SQL Express EULA. Then if that does not clarify the answer, you should contact the licensing group at Microsoft.
    OK, thank you for informations. I will ask MS for their opinion.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    You don't need to purchase anything for SQL express.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • defiant701defiant701 Member Posts: 79
    Never use Express in production environment. Along with new customers you are able to license runtime Standard SQL (server license & CAL http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=320259). So you're able to run a full standard SQL version exclusively for NAV.
    Debuggers don't remove bugs, they only show them in slow-motion

LinkedIn
    XING
    defiant701 wrote:
    Never use Express in production environment. Along with new customers you are able to license runtime Standard SQL (server license & CAL http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=320259). So you're able to run a full standard SQL version exclusively for NAV.

What would be your reasoning for this? Although I'm not a fan of using it, I don't see an issue provided it meets the needs.

The original poster stated this move was to save money. Since Runtime is not free (it's licensed by named users) it would not meet the stated requirement.
    There are some topics I would assume (and I would expect from a trustworthy partner):

- CPU limitation 1 socket 4 cores (should be enough for a 3 users- hopefully)
    - RAM max. 1 GB (could be a long running thing with 3-tier but if they have plenty of time ok)
    - 10 GB max. db size (hey sure who needs so much space? Guess they'll grow up to 1.5 GB after 4.0 to 7.1 switch)
    - no SQL agent (who needs that? Automated backup & maintenance tasks are unnecessary)

So there are no real technical showstoppers but a customer should be in good hands and no partner should present this as a good solution.

There are other options to provide low price NAV solutions for customers.

LinkedIn
    XING
    Those are all valid points which may or may not be factors here. I would not make the assumption that the partner has not already reviewed the limitations with the client. They may be aware and still have decided the cost savings justifies the limitations.

This may be an approach to get a small system in the door. With a plan to migrate to licensed SQL edition as the system grows. But I'm speculating there. Basically, while I do not disagree with the fundamentals of what you are saying, the original poster has not made any statements where we can say SQL Express is not a valid choice.
    we offered them SQL express as cost saving option. of course we offered them also SQL standard so they can decide. maybe they will buy SQL standard. we will see.
    Ok your choice. But remember there is :!: no :!: way back to runtime if you choose to buy the license for the customer. The runtime option is only for new customers.

LinkedIn
    XING
  • CaponeCapone Member Posts: 125
    Some have already mentioned that SQL agent is not included in the express edition. However there are plenty of material on how setup backups to SQL express with windows scheduler togheter with notifications using powershell.
    Hello IT, have you tried to turn it off and on?
    Have you checked the cables?
    Have you released the filters?

http://www.navfreak.com