Upgrade Large Database TO NAV2013 R2

detlefdetlef Member Posts: 38
edited 2014-04-18 in NAV Three Tier
When you upgrade a large database, increase the SqlCommandTimeout in the CustomSettings.config file of the NAV server.

After you import the new 2013 R2 objects, the NAV server is still performing tasks on the SQL server (creating indexes). The default SQLCommandTimeout is 20min. 20 minutes is not enough. Every time we started the RTC, the NAV Server started building indexes on SQL and after 20 minutes it rolled everything back. After increasing the timeout to 24 hours, the NAV server actually completed the SQL tasks after 2 hours and the RTC was able to connect. Our database is 150GB.

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Thanks for the information although it is quite strange.

I did an upgrade of a 170GB customer database and did not have any timeouts. Maybe the timeout is for one individual statement and not the entire transaction? That means you had one index that took 20 minutes to rebuild?

What hardware did you use? I used a really fast server since I want to measure timing during the testconversion to know the downtime during the final cutover.
  • detlefdetlef Member Posts: 38
    Seems to be an issue with loading fobs. Microsoft is aware of the issue and working on a fix.
    Will keep you posted.
  • VectorKVectorK Member Posts: 86
    Hi all,

After aplying the new Cumulative Update 6 for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2, I just only can say that upgrading to NAV 2013 R2 from NAV 2009 R2 is, as a developer with more than 20 years experience, the worst exprerience of my life.

Could somebody please, tell me THE ONLY RIGHT WAY to successfully upgrade a SIMPLE Spanish 2009R2 Database to NAV 2013R2?

Thank you.
  • jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi,

Gunnar has a blog entry on this:

http://www.dynamics.is/?p=1840

with best regards

Jens