Error: '┴' invalid character

PloegPloeg Member Posts: 70
edited 2015-02-13 in NAV Three Tier
Dear guru's,

Sometimes, not always, after we've compiled an object (such as table 18 - Customer) on the server, we get an error when we try to acces that table through a page in the RTC. The message has something to do with de object metadata. To fix the error we compile the object again from one of the client pc´s. After that, there is no problem.

We have a suspect: the sign

However, we found that not in all cases there is a € sign involved. So we are a bit lost. Does anyone know the possible cause of this annoying error? We use the Dutch Navision 2009R2.

The error message in Windows Log:
Service: MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer
User: xxxxx
Type: System.Xml.XmlException
LineNumber: 100
LinePosition: 133
Message: '┴', hexadecimal value 0x15, is an invalid character. Line 100, position 133.
StackTrace:
     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Int32 pos, String res, String[] args)
     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowInvalidChar(Int32 pos, Char invChar)
     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributeValueSlow(Int32 curPos, Char quoteChar, NodeData attr)
     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
     at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)
     at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)
     at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
     at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
     at System.Xml.XmlDocument.LoadXml(String xml)
     at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.Metadata.MetadataProvider.GetNavObjectAsXMLDocument(Int32 id, ObjectType navObjectType)
     at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.Metadata.MetadataProvider.<>c__DisplayClass1.<GetTableMetadataWithExtensions>b__0()
Source: System.Xml

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Export the record from the blob field to a text file and take a look inside it. It's basically C# object.
    The table is Object metadata.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • PloegPloeg Member Posts: 70
    ara3n wrote:
    Export the record from the blob field to a text file and take a look inside it. It's basically C# object.
    The table is Object metadata.

We tried that. In the table we have several fields that contain the € sign. However, when we export the table as a .txt file and search that file for special characters we found that the € character is visible as a ° character. I'm not sure if this is caused by the use of different character sets, but it makes it even stranger.

So, in short: in the table we use the € character (ASCII 0128), the table export shows it as a ° character (ASCII 248) and the error shows a ┴ character (ASCII 193).

I'm still lost... #-o
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    It looks to me that the PC/windows where you are using NAV is on different codebase than where the service tier is running
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Got the same kind of issue right now. Had RTC running fine but now I am getting (almost) the same error:
    Message: '', hexadecimal value 0x1C, is an invalid character. Line 427, position 98.

This already occurs when starting up the RTC. Which leads to the following error message:

The server net.[url=tcp://localhost:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service]tcp://localhost:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service[/url] is either unavailable or your connection has been lost. Do you want to attempt to reconnect?

[Note that I can connect to the server in the RTC Select Server dialog.]

Ploeg did you have this fixed and how?
    ara3n wrote:
    It looks to me that the PC/windows where you are using NAV is on different codebase than where the service tier is running
    I am my case this is not the issue. I am even getting this error when running all 3 tiers on one box.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • MarijnMarijn Member Posts: 69
    Are you having the same problem with ', ", &, < and >? Then try replacing € with €
  • lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Marijn wrote:
    Are you having the same problem with ', ", &, < and >? Then try replacing € with €

Nope, but meanwhile I found my source of problems: a 0x1C character in the menusuite (MEN1090) in one of the Name properties. So a non-printable character at the end of the Name value.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community