Nav2009-Nav2013 Upgrade : how to create Upgrade Databases

fred69fred69 Member Posts: 16
edited 2013-02-14 in NAV Three Tier
Hello,
I'm about to start upgrading a Nav2009 to Nav2013.
During the "Upgrading the application Code" step, the upgrade documentation (UpgradingNAV2013.pdf) asks us to create 2 databases (Old Base Version and Old Custom Version) from Development Environment (ie Nav2013) : Page 10 5b. Next step is to import in each of the databases the text file "converted" by the TextFormatUpgrade2013.exe tool. I have a problem at this step. When I try importing the text file, the system shows an error telling me that I'm not allowed to create Table 3 Payment Terms...

When I first created the database, I didn't restore any Cronus Backup (the documentation doesn't ask for that). It sounds quite normal to me that I'm not allowed to create new objects by importing text files in a range of objects that is not "50000". Furthermore, as I understand the upgrade process, these two databases are just meant to generate new text files (in order to make the file comparison) in a "Nav2013 text format".

After that, I tried importing a FOB with all standard Nav2013 objects. My idea was "this will allow me to import the objects now that they are already in the database". Problem : when importing the converted 2009 text file, I get an error message telling me that I'm not allowed to delete a field in the country/region table...

I'm quite sure that I don't need any object in the database before importing the Nav2009 text files but how can the system allow me to create Table 3 by importing a TextFile ?

What am I missing during this upgrade step ? Did anyone succeed in creating these two databases and in importing the two "converted" text files ?

Thanks

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Try this:

1) Open NAV 2009 DB
    2) Export all objects as txt and fob (excluding dataports, forms and classic menusuites)
    3) Do technical upgrade of the database to 2013
    4) Using the conversion tool covert the txt file from step 2
    5) Import this txt into 2013 DB
    6) It should be possible to compile the objects
    7) In this way you have 2009 db converted to 2013 to be able to take the objects and merge the changes into clean 2013 version.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • souhilaitsouhilait Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Well I've had the exact same error today wile upgrading to NAV 2013;
    I did run the TextFormatUpgrade2013µ.exe, then created the new DB, the went to import the converted objects from OldBaseVersion, the first error was :
    _ You don't have the permission to create Payment terms table

by searching through the forum I found out that I had to import the 2013 objects from the cronus DB, which I did

I tried to import the converted objects once again, and then I have the second error message
    _ Your program licence does not permit you to delete the SEPA allowed field in the country/Region table

What should I do?
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    look at the field number for SEPA allowed - if it is not in your license range, then that explains the error.
    I don't see how starting off with Cronus is going to work since every version adds new fields and by importing in your 2009 objects, you will be attempting to drop new fields.
  • JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
    Just starting in on a practice upgrade, and I concur. Those instructions do not work well with a partner license. I'm sure I'll be able to work around it, but if you just are blindly following the official guide, it will give you errors many steps of the way.

Since feedback here helps, but so does rating it on that page, make sure to give feedback that the instructions are incorrect for anyone with a partner license. It's at the bottom of the page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 9(v=nav.70).aspx

Hopefully some of the kind folks from the NAV team can chime in on the correct way.
    JEREMY VYSKA
    CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
    New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"
  • dmc-dkdmc-dk Member Posts: 42
    Hi guys,

Thanks for noticing this!
    To me this is not a license problem, this is clearly a problem with the description of the code merge.

Here is what the procedure says:
    1. Export all (e.g. tables) into OldBaseVersion.txt from NAV2009
    2. Export all (e.g. tables) into OldCustomVersion.txt from NAV2009
    3. Run TextFormatUpgrade2013.exe on both
    4. Create new (empty?) database in NAV 2013 Dev Environment and try to import converted NAV 2009 objects (txt).

Of course permission error will occur while importing the first table in Microsoft range (which happened to be “Payment Terms”) as a txt. It is not (and never was) possible to create tables in that range with the partner's license.

Another suggestion was to import the converted TXT into CRONUS database taken from NAV 2013 – this most likely will not work either,because there is data in CRONUS tables, and we cannot import NAV 2009 tables over NAV 2013 - it will start complaining about note being able to remove a field or change a type etc. Even if you get rid of data (export all into FOB, create new DB, import FOB) – what is the benefit of importing old NAV 2009 tables into NAV2013?

Though you do need to import NewCustomVersion2013.txt over NAV 2013 CRONUS objects, because then you will not be creating the objects (which is not allowed in MS range), but updating the objects with your customizations.

So I think the procedure should be as follows:
    • export everything into txt using respective clients (OldBaseVersion2009, OldCustomVersion2009, and NewBaseVersion2013)
    • run conversion on OldBaseVersion2009 and OldCustomVersion2009
    merge all three into NewCustomVersion2013 version
    • create new empty database with CRONUS objects in it (Open NAV 2013 CRONUS, export all into FOB, create new DB, import FOB)
    • then import NewCustomVersion2013.txt into that new empty NAV 2013 database
    • Compile all and resolve compilation problems

Does it make sense?

PS. Though this is the flow for updating all objects except reports - the story for reports is slightly different.
    Step 1 of the conversion should empty tables not being used in NAV 2013. For example, countries using kitting will have that data moved, so you may end up dropping tables - which I hope is described somewhere in the conversion procedures.
  • alex9alex9 Member Posts: 97
    I just tried to simply upgrade NAV2009 Demo database to NAV2013. Not data, just application objects. I used TextFormatUpgrade.exe, it worked fine. Then, of course, I encountered the same porblem as Topic Starter - not possible to import object in text format into the new empty 2013 database.
    Next, I imported AllObj2013.fob to new database, so I have 2013 witout any data. Next, I tried to import converted objects in txt format into this database - I've got an error when the import process tries to insert new fields in Microsoft range. Next, I tried to import AllObj2009.fob to NAV2013 database, and accepted default actions (did not select ReplaceAll) - I've got some error about BOM table, and process was stopped.

I am just curious, if somebody was able to perform this simple exercise? If yes, what are the exact steps? MS manual "Upgrading to NAV 2013" does't seem to be correct, which is surprising...

Upd:
    I imported AllObj2009.fob to 2013 database, and used ReplaceAll. It was succesfully completed. Now I am trying to import AllObj2009Converted.txt to the database and getting error "Object Name already exist. Table 2000000002 User". OK, I rename then existing User table (2000000120) to "User 2". Now the error "You do not have permission to create User table".
  • alex9alex9 Member Posts: 97
    I made some progess finally. I had to use TextFormatUpgrade tool several times to find out the problems:
    - it doesn't care about XMLPorts properly. My import stopped several times because of some XML Port property which is not compatible with NAV2013. I ended up with just excluding XMLPort from the import;
    - I excluded system tables (like 2000000002 User) from the conversion;
    - I excluded MenuSuites from the conversion too, because they have reference to dataports and thus cannot be imported into NAV2013. So, it looks like TextFormatUpgrade tool doesn't care about this problem as well;

So, now I have converted NAV2009 database, and it is opened with NAV2013 dev client. I will need to compile objects and upgrade reports to finish the exercise.

I am just wondering if those who wrote "Upgrading to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013" document tried to perform steps from the page 7 themselves? I don't think they did, unless I am missing something, or doing something wrong here...

Any thoughts are welcome!
  • pitt95pitt95 Member Posts: 8
    How many hours will be necessary to upgrade from NAV2009 to NAV2013 if customer database doesn't have too much customization?
    Any ideas?
    Have you looked at mergetool.com?
    The mergetool is free to partners, and if you need some training, they will provide it at a reasonable rate.
  • dmc-dkdmc-dk Member Posts: 42
    Hi all, the page is updated now:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh997139(v=nav.70).aspx

Best regards,
    Dmitry