Papersource in rdlc Reports

DominikDominik Member Posts: 2
edited 2014-09-08 in NAV Three Tier
Hi

the PAPERSOURCE property is unfortunately not supported in the rdlc reports. Is there any work-a-round how I can select the printer trays in the new reports? I don't want to use the CC Reports. Can I write a hook in .NET?

Thanks,

Dominik

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Not supported on RDLC report layouts.

PAPERSOURCE Function (Report)
    PaperSourceFirstPage Property
    PaperSourceOtherPages Property

To specify the paper source for an RDLC report layout, use the Page Setup dialog box on the Preview page.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff477107.aspx
  • MatStephensSandAMatStephensSandA Member Posts: 74
    Hi.
    I know the papersource function is not supported in RDLC reporting and all advice points me towards using the Page Setup dialog box on the Preview page however if my report is an auto generated batch rather than a singular report how does this help?

In my example we have a pick with multiple sales orders on it. Once the pick is registered we then print a customer letter for each order.
    This letter is required to be on pre printed stationary on the 1st page and subsiquent pages of each letter are on blank paper. (The stationaly is a legislative requirement)
    In ye olde classic we did this easily by calling a different papersource based on the page number.

We are now upgrading to 2013 and while gaining many additional benefits this is a big issue. Any ideas / suggestions..

This might be a silly question as this is my first realt "go" at RDLC reporting. If so apologies.
    M@
    I have seen the future and it's egg shaped.
  • deV.chdeV.ch Member Posts: 543
    Unfortunatly this is one of the things where you are on your own... We ended up accepting that it's not possible. But i remember that i heard of the idea to use postscript to give instructions on papersource to the printer directly from the rdlc report. But there is now real tutorial on this, you will have to investigate it yourself and if you do so, it would be great to have a blog post or howto or something like this.

Another possibility could be to create a pdf of it and try to automate adobe reader or foxit reader and see if it would be possible to specify different papersources per page.
    I have not tired it, so maybe it is not possible!
  • clauslclausl Member Posts: 455
    For NAV 2009 only workaround is to use Classic reports if you need to print to different Paper sources.

For NAV 2013 use these properties in the Report Dataset Designer:
    PaperSourceFirstPage
    PaperSourceDefaultPage(Replaces PaperSourceOtherPages in Classic reports)
    PaperSourceLastPage(New property in NAV 2013)

Another option in NAV 2013 is to use the GetPaperTrayForReport procedure in codeunit 1 Application Management to set the paper tray from C/AL code. See more here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj863503(v=nav.70).aspx

There are reasons that we had support for Classic reports in NAV 2009, this is one of them.

/Claus Lundstrøm
    Claus Lundstrøm | MVP | Senior Product Manager | Continia.com
    I'm blogging here:http://mibuso.com/blogs/clausl and used to blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/nav
    I'm also offering RDLC Report Training, ping me if you are interested. Thanks to the 700 NAV developers that have now already been at my training. You know you can always call if you have any RDLC report issues :-)
  • deV.chdeV.ch Member Posts: 543
    Sorry i was talking about 2009, I oversaw that MatStephensSandA was talking about 2013...
  • MatStephensSandAMatStephensSandA Member Posts: 74
    Thanks for the replies..
    Sorry for my lack of understanding but if the report is part of a batch then do these properties help?
    In my scenario I call one report (from the pick) that generates multiple documents (one for each Sales Order).
    I am not sure how I can use these properties in the Dataset Designer because the dataset designer does not decide the page number.
    Hope that makes sense.
    M@
    I have seen the future and it's egg shaped.
  • azerty74azerty74 Member Posts: 82
    I have implemented the GetPaperTrayForReport function in cdu1, but it has no effect. (NAV 2013 BE)
    Is is dependent on specific printer drivers or might I have forgotten something? Anyone any suggestions?

I'm using this code:
    IF (ReportID = 50206) THEN BEGIN
      //message('%1',ReportID);
        FirstPage := 256;
        DefaultPage := 0;
        LastPage := 0;
    END;

and he shows the message (if uncommented). So probably I'm not using the correct numbers. Tried almost evetything.

The funny thing is that using this code, 256 is the first tray, but 0 or 1 or 2 or 255 or 257 or... is also using the first tray, except if I change FirstPage to 255 then they all use the second tray... ](*,)

(We have opened a support ticket and are waiting for Microsoft support.)
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing code. Therefore if you write the code as cleverly as possible you are by definition not smart enough to debug it.
  • HansDuttingHansDutting Member Posts: 25
    Hi,
    We are also struggling with this problem in 2013 R2.
    The CodeUnit 1 solution works, but only the FirstPage property as it seems. it will not change the paper tray for the 2nd page of the report.
    Fortunately the customer wants the report printed once on stationery and the copy on blank paper.
    So we use the solution to set FirstPage on stationery tray, print/run report. Then change the setting in CU1 to blank paper tray and print/run again.

But some companies use paper with for example logo and footer for fist page only and the have only logo paper in another tray.

So my question is: did someone here got this Codeunit 1 solution with DefaultPage and LastPage working?
    Or is it (still) a :bug:

Gr,
    Hans D.
  • bcengizbcengiz Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    We are also struggling with this problem in 2013 R2.
    The CodeUnit 1 solution works, but only the FirstPage property as it seems. it will not change the paper tray for the 2nd page of the report.
    Fortunately the customer wants the report printed once on stationery and the copy on blank paper.
    So we use the solution to set FirstPage on stationery tray, print/run report. Then change the setting in CU1 to blank paper tray and print/run again.

But some companies use paper with for example logo and footer for fist page only and the have only logo paper in another tray.

So my question is: did someone here got this Codeunit 1 solution with DefaultPage and LastPage working?
    Or is it (still) a :bug:

Gr,
    Hans D.

Hi Hans,

Do you have a working solution for this in 2013 R2 ?

BR