Adding Users in Navision with SQL Database

ombackeombacke Member Posts: 44
How do you add new users to Navision if you're using a SQL Backend? Do you add the Users as SQL Users or do you add them inside NAvision?

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You need to do both. First you add the SQL user, then you add the user to Navision. Read the intallation guide in the doc folder on the product cd, that explains it better than I can :).
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    This is true, if you want to use Database Logins. In this case you need to add the user to the MS SQL for example through Enterprise Manager, after that you are able to add this user into Navision. If you want use Windows Logins, it is not problem and you can add the user only through Navision...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Are you sure about that Kamil? I thought even if you use Windows login you still have to add them to SQL Server before you can use them in Navision.
    Yes, I am 120% sure with this... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    kine wrote:
    This is true, if you want to use Database Logins. In this case you need to add the user to the MS SQL for example through Enterprise Manager, after that you are able to add this user into Navision. If you want use Windows Logins, it is not problem and you can add the user only through Navision...
    What I remember about this, is that it is possible to give SQL-access to a Windows group. So this you have only to do once and then every user of that Windows group has access to SQL.
    I tried to see how it is done, but I can't do it on my portable. Probably because I am not connected to a domain-network at the moment.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Yes, it can be done through security group, but with some limitations:

1) This group must contain the users, not another groups (nested groups will not work)
    2) In 4.00 you still need to create account in Navision for each user which will have access to Navision else the user will not be able to login.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.