Upgrading from 2009 R2 --> 2015

alboralbor Member Posts: 11
Hi,

I am about to upgrade a NAV 2009 database to NAV 2015 and this is my first time. First I assume that I have to get rid of all the customization which has been implemented in the NAV 2009 database in order to make the upgrade. How do I do this proberly?

At first I tried to write SQL scripts which deleted all the custom objects and their metadata and removed the values from all the custom fields in the standard tables. Then I tried to compile all tables but their was a long error log afterwards because their is code/variables refering to the deleted custom objects.

Any advise is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• dadafolabidadafolabi Member Posts: 7
    You do not need to get rid of the customization. Rather, you need them in 2015. I will also advise that you follow the standard upgrade procedure. from 2009 R2 to 2013 to 2015.
    I will advise that you get this document:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-components-postattachments/00-10-56-97-14/Upgrading-NAV-2009-R2-or-NAV-2009-SP1-Database-to-NAV-2015.pdf
  • alboralbor Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for fast reply

Sorry for the confusion in my first post.

As it is, I dont need the customizations in NAV2015 and therefore dont the customization data. I am only interested in stripping the customizations and upgrading the database to NAV2015. But how do I get rid of the customizations?
  • vremeni4vremeni4 Member Posts: 323
    Hi,

This is a very strange request. Usually customers do not want to get rid of the customisation and data related to it.
    This is the reason that we do the upgrade.
    Anyhow to get rid of the customisation:
    1. Find a demo Cronus database for NAV 2009. The same version as you customised database.
    2. Compare all the objects from NAV 2009 with your database.
    if in your database you have a table/form/report... XYZ and that table/form/report... is not in the NAV 2009 then you can delete it as it is a customisation.The same for all other objects
    3. Export all objects from NAV 2009 as a FOB.
    4. Import that FOB into your database. You will get error messages for all customized fields that you have to remove values from them before you can import the FOB. Delete the values from these fields.
    You can do this via SQL or manually or you can use dataport in NAV.

You will get a NAV 2009 database without any customisation. Now you can upgrade it to NAV 2015.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks.
  • alboralbor Member Posts: 11
    vremeni4 wrote:
    Hi,

This is a very strange request. Usually customers do not want to get rid of the customisation and data related to it.
    This is the reason that we do the upgrade.
    Anyhow to get rid of the customisation:
    1. Find a demo Cronus database for NAV 2009. The same version as you customised database.
    2. Compare all the objects from NAV 2009 with your database.
    if in your database you have a table/form/report... XYZ and that table/form/report... is not in the NAV 2009 then you can delete it as it is a customisation.The same for all other objects
    3. Export all objects from NAV 2009 as a FOB.
    4. Import that FOB into your database. You will get error messages for all customized fields that you have to remove values from them before you can import the FOB. Delete the values from these fields.
    You can do this via SQL or manually or you can use dataport in NAV.

You will get a NAV 2009 database without any customisation. Now you can upgrade it to NAV 2015.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks.

Unfortunately I am not able to delete all customization in the development environment because there exists specific ranges (bought by another company) to which I do not have access via my partner license. I have tried to delete all custom objects via SQL management studio in table object and object metadata, but where do I find and delete custom fields in the standard objects (other than in the compiled tables)?
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    vremeni4 wrote:

Right now I have a bunch of customizations that were not done by me, not ordered by the current chief accountant but the previous one, nobody has any idea why he wanted them and they are undocumented. They are sure as hell not going into the next version, although I half-expect someone to entirely unrelated to accounting to pop up from an overlooked nook and cranny of the company and complain that they used to use them because they had one strangely accounting-related task delegated to them 10 years ago.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    When you merge your standard NAV2015 objects you can force synchronization which will allow you to drop the data as well as the custom fields from your standard tables.