Fob build version indicator ?

absolutelyfreewebabsolutelyfreeweb Member Posts: 104
When importing a fob from a different version NAV will give you a warning:

"The objects in this file are from a different version of Microsoft Dynamics Classic. If you continue, the objects will be recompiled which may leave the system in an inconsistent state. Do you want to continue?"

But sometimes, you just want to know what exact build the fob is from, so you can open it in the correct build without recompiling. I'd like your expertise in how to determine the build no. of the fob.

EDIT: If one could figure out whether the fob is from a newer or older build, that would also be helpful to eventually find the correct build.

Comments

• vremeni4vremeni4 Member Posts: 323
    Hi,

As far as I know this is not possible.
    What I usually do, I open the FOB file with Notepad (or Vi editor), and all the objects, included in the FOB, are listed at the begging of the FOB file with the NAV version.
    Looking at the NAV version you can decide what version it is and what build.
    For example the version could be
    NAVW17.10.00.36281
    which means NAV 2013 R2, and build 36281.
    This is not always possible as some objects are not changed in cumulative updates, so in that case this will not work.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks.
  • absolutelyfreewebabsolutelyfreeweb Member Posts: 104
    I don't think it gives the client version in text format. what you see is the object version. for instance, here is an upgraded object I exported from NAV 2013, and then opened in notepad:

Table 225 Post Code 02/18/15 5:14:10 PM
    10972 US2.00,AWBB1.00,BRK4.03.001

I see no pointers in plain text and havent been able to find it in the binary part either. They seem to be very different between versions.
  • vremeni4vremeni4 Member Posts: 323
    Hi,

The pointer is the tag in the version number in the FOB file
    US2.00,AWBB1.00,BRK4.03.001
    US2.00 - united states localisation
    Standard NAV uses the version e.g.
    NAVW17.10 which tells you more or less this is version 2013 R2.
    NAVW17.10.38455 indicates the version 2013 R2 with CU 18, update KB 38455.

One option to achieve what you want would be to
    update the version number for all objects with the Build number e.g. 36366 of that database.
    So all objects would have this tag in the version plus other tags, E.g.
    KB36366,US2.00,AWBB1.00,BRK4.03.001
    When you look at the FOB (open it with notepad) you will see the Build number

I hope this helps.
    Thanks.
  • absolutelyfreewebabsolutelyfreeweb Member Posts: 104
    the objects are coming from elsewhere most of the time. it's a no go.