Nav 2009 on SQL Server 2012

Developer101Developer101 Member Posts: 528
HI I am trying to install Nav 2009 on SQL Server 2012 to see if those are compatible

Its NAV 2009 without R2 or SP1

But I keep getting this error no matter what I do. I have done exactly what message saying but to no avail.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic

The following SQL Server error or errors occurred:

17750,"42000",[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Could not load the DLL C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SQLSERVER2012\MSSQL\Binn\xp_ndo_64.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.).

SQL:

INSERT INTO [#$ndo$groups] EXEC [master]..[xp_ndo_enumusersids]

OK

United Kingdom

Comments

• Developer101Developer101 Member Posts: 528
    HI I am trying to install Nav 2009 on SQL Server 2012 to see if those are compatible

Its NAV 2009 without R2 or SP1

But I keep getting this error no matter what I do. I have done exactly what message saying but to no avail.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic

The following SQL Server error or errors occurred:

17750,"42000",[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Could not load the DLL C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SQLSERVER2012\MSSQL\Binn\xp_ndo_64.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.).

SQL:

INSERT INTO [#$ndo$groups] EXEC [master]..[xp_ndo_enumusersids]

OK

Sorry it was xp_ndo_x64.dll rather than xp_ndo_64.dll. OK right so NAV 2009 is working on SQL Server 2012.

So is that it? an I say it is compatible or what test I can do to know if it is completely compatible?
    United Kingdom
  • jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Looks like you need to register the functions in xp_ndo.dll first. It should be installed. The install dvd should install it if you use the "SQL demo database" option/package.

with best regards

Jens
    NAV2009(R2) is officially compatible with SQL Server 2012 and 2014.

with best regards

Jens
    jglathe wrote:
    NAV2009(R2) is officially compatible with SQL Server 2012 and 2014.

with best regards

Jens

Thanks for reply. What about only/just NAV 2009? (not the R2 or Sp1) thanks. Its seems to be connecting though.
    We are considering SQL Server 2012 but not the Navision upgrade ; so we would like it to work with SQL Server 2012.

Thank you
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I would recommend to use the 2009R2 binaries. Then you should be on the safe side. There are some changes in the business logic between 2009 and 2009R2, mostly error corrections (or the usual replacement of old errors with new ones). But this has no effect regarding SQL Server compatibility, AFAIK.

with best regards

Jens
    What are those? please explain how to use the binaries?
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

"Binaries" mean the executables, in short the software except the C/AL objects. We also call this technical upgrade.

with best regards

Jens
  • rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
    What are those? please explain how to use the binaries?

To help clarify, the "binaries" or "executables" mean the program files installed on the workstation. No changes to the SQL database need to be made, but the same set of executables need to be installed on all workstations.

It sounds like you might just be testing SQL2012. If so, you can install the latest NAV2009 executables on one workstation - just don't access your live database - it will ask you do do an upgrade but then earlier versions of the NAV executables won't work.

However, perhaps you missed a step in installing NAV for SQL2012. Here are the steps documented in the installation guide:

STEP 1:
    Manually copy the xp_ndo_x64.DLL from the Product CD to the path given below depending on the Windows version you are running and how you installed SQL - but it is the BINN directory:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11\MSSQL\Binn

STEP 2:
    Run the following Script in SSMS, again substituting the correct path to the BINN directory:

USE master
    EXEC sp_addextendedproc xp_ndo_enumusersids, ‘C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11\MSSQL\Binn\xp_ndo_x64.dll’

GO
    GRANT EXECUTE
    ON [xp_ndo_enumusersids]
    TO PUBLIC
    GO

USE master
    EXEC sp_addextendedproc xp_ndo_enumusergroups, ‘C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11\MSSQL\Binn\xp_ndo_x64.dll’
    GO

GRANT EXECUTE
    ON [xp_ndo_enumusergroups]
    TO PUBLIC
    GO

Then try NAV2009 again. If this works, then you can postpone upgrading to the NAV2009 R2 executables (but it is recommended that you do so).

Good luck.
    Ron
  • eyolfthoeyolftho Member Posts: 18
    I have experienced the same in earlier NAV versions (3.70 & 4.x); the fault was that the appropriate xp_ndo dll's were not present
    on the cd/dvd during installation, or the wrong version was installed.

This dll comes in 3 versions: xp_ndo.dll for 32-bit OS, xp_ndo_64.dll for 64-bit OS, and xp_ndo_IA64.dll for Itanium64-based systems.
    (the sql server OS, not the client's)

The dll is for signon on to NAV with your windows/AD user id, for online clients it is not really necessary, but is required for NAS services, and probably also
    for the service tier in RTC.

Find the approprioate dll somewhere on the web, and follow rsaritzky's guide above, this should fix the problem.