Intermec Printer Integration with Ms Dynsmics Nav 2009

fezih5fezih5 Member Posts: 12
i have an intermec printer that i want to integrate with microsoft dynamics Nav 2009. i want to pass readable information from microsoft dynamics nav 2009 and have it printed as barcode lables by the printer.

microsoft is a partner of intermec printers. how can this be done? i assume there is a dll one needs to call to pass the info to.

Comments

• eyolfthoeyolftho Member Posts: 18
    the easiest way is this:

Define the intermec printer on the client computer, use the "Microsoft" "Generic text" driver (*)
    in NAV: write the appropriate PL instructions to the printer to a .txt file
    close the file in NAV; issue a DOS command to copy the .txt to the printer.

c:\copy file.txt lpt1 (or whatever port you have assigned the printer to)

(*: this is the best solution, since most printer drivers convert the source to a bitmap before sending it to the printer...intermec
    printers mostly dont't understand bitmaps)
  • robert001robert001 Member Posts: 3
    Hi eyolftho,

I agree with you on this, it should work but the copy part must be slightly different.

If I create a valid Intermec instructions text file, name it test.prn and send it to the printer with a dos COPY instruction, this doesn't do anything, although it says it was copied. Even if you name it test.txt, same behaviour applies.
    If I send the prn file with the Seagull Scientific driver that I installed when I added the Intermec printer on my computer (which works on an internal ip address and port 9100) then this prints the barcode. See attachment for function used.
    So it would be interesting if someone had the experience of calling that Seagull function programmatically from NAV.

Cheers,
    Robert

eyolftho wrote:
    the easiest way is this:

Define the intermec printer on the client computer, use the "Microsoft" "Generic text" driver (*)
    in NAV: write the appropriate PL instructions to the printer to a .txt file
    close the file in NAV; issue a DOS command to copy the .txt to the printer.

c:\copy file.txt lpt1 (or whatever port you have assigned the printer to)

(*: this is the best solution, since most printer drivers convert the source to a bitmap before sending it to the printer...intermec
    printers mostly dont't understand bitmaps)