Options

Archive multiple sales orders NAV 5.0

gearvaultgearvault Member Posts: 11
I am unable to find any info on this and desperately need your help! How do you select multiple sales orders at once and archive them? We do not have a developer license, nor the $$ to hire a consultant! I am unable to see the C/AL code without the developer license by the way- which is making this difficult.

Comments

• Options
    SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    If you use the debugger you can see the C/AL code. If you can design reports, that might be handy aswell.
    Currently I have no knowledge of the system allowing multiple sales orders to be selected and archived at once.
    However, if auto-archiving is on, then the sales post-batch can archive multiple sales orders. The downside is that they will be posted in the end.

However, these questions normally should go to your partner. If you can't invest in your ERP, then the partner didn't made it clear how much NAV usually costs.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply! The problem is we are no longer financlially capable of paying a partner for support and our IT guy left a few months ago.

"The downside is that they will be posted in the end." - what does this mean and if sales orders are posted- what does that mean exactly. Forgive my ignorance please.

Also I am on version 5.0 and I believe Auto-Archive isnt available in this release. If it is, PLEASE tell me where it is lol.
  • Options
    OK so I think I found something. We used to use another Database when we were doing business under another name and I do see a sales-post batch in the job scheduler that used to run every 60 minutes (this is not running on our current db obviously). Is this what was Auto-Archiving the Sales orders? How can I tell what it was doing and most importantly- how it determined what to archive??? Lastly how do I transfer this job so it runs on new company database???
  • Options
    SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    Auto-archiving is located in the sales & receivables setup.
    However, the batch post sales is a report that posts (ie: sends shipments and makes invoices) of sales documents.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • Options
    rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    gearvault wrote:
    The problem is we are no longer financlially capable of paying a partner for support and our IT guy left a few months ago.
    Considering what you've written, archiving of sales orders is one of your minor problems. What's the big fuzz about archiving your SO's anyway? FYI, sales orders are also archived when printed - works also if printed to .pdf files - maybe you should get started...
  • Options
    Well when we run the open orders report- we see a TON of orders even though they have been shipped and received.... When you say they are archived when they are printed - do you mean from the open orders report or under Order Processing > Orders. What are the steps to do this? Thanks you so much for your patience.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    gearvault wrote:
    I am unable to see the C/AL code without the developer license by the way- which is making this difficult.

Why not turn on Code Coverage - archive an order & view the code that was executed.
    Perhaps then create some processing report, with the code as an example, to go thru the sales headers.

test in test database!!!

else call your Nav partner as Denster suggests and give them a chance to at least Quote you on a price before saying it's out of the question.

else, start archiving a few each day until your list is gone. Then keep on top of it.
    We never archive, I can always Copy Document if I ever need to, let alone archive everything.
    Are you sure you need to archive so much?
  • Options
    We want to archive to close all of the open orders (shown in the Open Orders report).
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Do you ever actually look at those archived orders? It is not necessary to archive to be able to get rid of posted orders.
  • Options
    How else would I get rid of the posted orders without deleting them?
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You hit delete. That's all that happens when orders are completely posted from the sales order form.
  • Options
    exactly, for us there is no need to archive a sales order.
    As I said if you ever need to create a copy of a old SO you can Copy Doc a Posted Invoice.

If you never call upon your archived docs then I guess you're just filling database space.
  • Options
    LOL - thanks everyone for the excellent info and for your patience!
  • Options
    How do I batch Delete old Sales orders? Also what does posting do and do they need to be posted before they are deleted?
  • Options
    Are you saying you never post?

Then how do you charge your customers?
    I assume when you enter an order - you then pick & pack it.
    Then you ship it. You go to the order Post -> Ship & Invoice.

It then adds the order total to the customer ledger entries so that customer now has a balance.
    It also reduces your inventory by the amount you sold by creating Item Ledger Entries.
    And all of that plus your costs then hit the g/l accounts.

If you think it should work differently or please describe your business procedures to us.
  • Options
    rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    I'm a little bit confused. At one point you say:
    gearvault wrote:
    We want to archive to close all of the open orders (shown in the Open Orders report).
    and then:
    gearvault wrote:
    How else would I get rid of the posted orders without deleting them?
    What now - open or invoiced sales orders?

To make things clear:
    1. You don't archive sales orders in order to "close" them. SO's are "closed" when they are released, shipped and invoiced - they are automatically deleted by NAV if shipped completely .
    2. To "clean" your list of "open" SO's you delete them one by one - check each before deleting!.
    3. To "clean" your "closed" (shipped & invoiced) SO's - if not deleted automatically - you run the "Delete Invoiced Sales Orders..." batch job.
    4. The purpose of archiving SO's is to have a history of SO changes (versions) - for instance if you want to track order changes before the release - to clear a list of those run the "Delete Archived Sales Order Versions..." batch job.