Options

Purpose of Keygroups in NAV

chandrurecchandrurec Member Posts: 560
Hi all,

I want to know what is Key group and the Purpose/Usage of Key groups in Navision.

If anyone has already worked in key groups, kindly explain me what is key group and its usage.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Chandru.

Comments

• Options
    lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    Did you search for "keygroup" on this forum? If so you would certainly have found this post: Keys & Keygroups.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • Options
    jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    I haven't really used key groups very much in the field.

My understanding is that they were originally used to allow administrators to turn a set of keys across multiple tables on and off all at once. This would allow you to save all the space used and performance hit associated with the keys until absolutely necessary.

Example - you have an annual report that needs to be generated. This report works across multiple reports and multiple tables and analyzes a lot of data. As this process only needs to be run once per year why have users have the performance hit of updating and maintaining those keys all year round. Turn the keys on, run the year end reporting and then turn them off.

In reality when you enable the keys the database needs to generate those indexes and that takes time, during which the system may perform poorly. It also assumes that those keys are only really needed on a periodic basis (i.e. once a year). In the field I typically see that once a table has a key on it...developers, analysts, report writers see it and start to use it in reports, forms, processes that are run all the time, which means they can't be turned off.

See more here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd301422.aspx
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • Options
    vijay_gvijay_g Member Posts: 884
    thanks a lot jlandeen...
    the purpose of key group to decrease unnecesorry space(indexing) while it's not in use.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    Yes and I think with disk space a fairly cheap commodity in a lot of cases it's not cost effective to worry about turning index groups off...only to have to use them again next year and spend all the time generating the keys.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • Options
    themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    jlandeen wrote:
    Yes and I think with disk space a fairly cheap commodity in a lot of cases it's not cost effective to worry about turning index groups off...only to have to use them again next year and spend all the time generating the keys.
    another advantage to having key groups off, is restores are faster, just did a restore last night, and as I watched it cycle through creating all the keys, which took around 6 hours, I remembered this post. I restore our database into a backup test company on a regular basis, and forgot about key groups, since I hadn't looked at them since 1999.
  • Options
    kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    jlandeen wrote:

It depends. I have used this functionality in order to have a year of "Better performing database" (for example faster postings) and using a weekend once a year to enable some keys and execute some process faster, then re-disable them.

Also there is a vertical solution built on top of Nav (probably more, but one that I know of) that has used this feature to mark keys that have been created for that specific solution. I find this practice really helpful...
  • Options
    Kloyd_Niel_LopezKloyd_Niel_Lopez Member Posts: 1
    Hello Guys,

Thanks for the information that i read,
    BTW im a newly one in this site.
    But learned lot of ideas.Thanks for sharing ideas.
    God bLess Guys.

how to treat depression