Options

NAV 5.01 upgraded to NAV 2009 SP1 by mistake

ashishsajnaniashishsajnani Member Posts: 5
Hello everybody,

By mistake i opened my NAV 5 SP 1 database in NAV 2009 SP1, as there is no confirm for the upgrade. My database got upgraded. Now, there is no problem working on the database but I cannot take backup. Is there any way to degrade it?

Regards,
Ashish

Comments

• Options
    TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
    edited 2010-07-07
    do you have an old backup somewhere...

For the record I have never seen the database technically upgrade without a message.
    Someone blogged once about downgrading a database but I would recommend a backup restored over a downgrade...

****Just because if there really was no confirmation I feel it would be an issue MS would need to look into ASAP I tried to open a NAV 501 DB with some 601 binaries and I was asked to confirm a technical upgrade****
  • Options
    dhananjayvdhananjayv Member Posts: 55
    Hi Ashish,
    After upgradation of DB all your customised code reflect in NAV 2009

rgds
    dhananjay
  • Options
    strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    Maybe this could help: http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/stryk/archive/2008/06/05/downgrading-nav.aspx

No GUARANTEE, NO WARRANTY, NO SUPPORT - USE AT OWN RISK!
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
  • Options
    ashishsajnaniashishsajnani Member Posts: 5
    nope i m working on the 5.01 client without any problem except i cant take a backup and cant export certain new system tables added automatically...
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    If you open a 5.1 database with 2009 execs and don't accept the upgrade message, NAV still creates the new system tables.

If this happes you can still work with the database in the old 5.1 execs but you cannot backup the DB or compile/export all objects because you get a stx error.

This is 'solved' by using the 6.0 stx files. It is a dirty workaround but it worked at one of my customers.

The best permanent solution is to technicaly upgade the database to 6.1. Doing a T.U. from 5.1 to 6.1 is relatively simple and should be without many issues.

Take care...
  • Options
    david.gerdaudavid.gerdau Member Posts: 20
    we had a client with this behavior. He opened his 5.0 Database with a newer Version of a ODBC driver. This upgrade some Tables within the Database. After this he could work with the old client but couldn't take no Backup. To solve this you need to open the Database with the new Client. Create a Backup and technical Upgrade you Database. You can't convert your Database any longer, so you need to create a new one with the new client and restore the Backup.