Options

Gen. Prod. & Gen. Bus. Posting Group req. when posting G/L

dahlia94040dahlia94040 Member Posts: 33
When posting to a G/L account in a Purchase Order my client is getting the message that a Gen. Prod. & Bus. Prod. Posting Group is required! The vendor is set up properly. It doesn't make sense that you would have to do this set up for EACH G/L account! They are using VAT. I believe the VAT posting groups are set up correctly. Otherwise, wouldn't I be getting a VAT posting group error? I checked Posting tab on the G/L card and it is all blank (as I think it should be).

Any help or ideas to pursue would be appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    ufukufuk Member Posts: 514
    Validation of No. field in purchase line triggers getting of VAT Setup. Your header and line posting group combination should exists in VAT setup.
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure what you mean by "Your header and line posting group combination should exists in VAT setup". The vendor has Gen. Bus. Posting Group, Tax Bus. Posting Group and Vendor Posting Group set up. The Tax bus. Posting Group and the Tax Prod. Posting Group is set up. The only thing that is missing is the Gen. Prod. Posting Group. I don't understand why I would need to set that up if the type is G/L Account. The whole purpose of setting up the General Posting Setup is to define the G/L account but if I'm posting directly to the G/L account why do I need to set it up? If it's because of VAT...why?
  • Options
    meikcremermeikcremer Member Posts: 7
    Because, if you work with discounts on that SalesLine, the system needs to determine, where to put those discounts. It does that by looking into the general posting setup and therefore, the Gen. Prod. Posting Group ist required... no matter if you are actually using discounts or not...
  • Options
    vijay_gvijay_g Member Posts: 884
    So finally can we post it without "Gen. Bus. Posting Group" and "Gen. Prod. Posting Group"?
    if yes then in which case it don't need to check General Posting Setup when posting with G/L Account?
  • Options
    ufukufuk Member Posts: 514
    Posting from purchase or sales line always checks posting setups but you can directly post from journal lines which does not require any posting group to set up.
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft
  • Options
    I've done posting directly to GL before without the requirement to set up General Posting Setup.
  • Options
    AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    So you are setting the posting type on the journal or the codes are on the account therefore on the line.

The posting setup defines where to post. You can set blank product posting groups to define where the transaction goes without a product as per your original question. Basically as long as Navision knows where to post transactions it is happy, it is when it does not know that it does not like it!
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • Options
    Hi AdamRoue,
    I'm not referring to the posting type. It's the requirement for the Gen. Product Posting Group & Gen. Business Posting Group setup. So if I'm posting a purchase order directly to a GL account I shouldn't have to do General Posting Setup up for Bus. & Prod. I know that to be the case for other companies that I've set up. This particular UK company is set up for VAT so I'm wondering if it has something specific with VAT.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Why use a PO then? A journal entry sounds like it would solve your issue. Are there other items in this po? are you trying to receive & invoice? or just Invoice?
  • Options
    vijay_gvijay_g Member Posts: 884
    I've done posting directly to GL before without the requirement to set up General Posting Setup.

have you done it by purchase order or Journal?
  • Options
    The client is using the purchase order form because they are filling out the posting description so that it is viewable in the G/L ledger entries.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    jouranls also have a description field that can be changed to describe the entry
  • Options
    That's true. Still doesn't explain why I need to set up the posting group!
  • Options
    AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Hi AdamRoue,
    I'm not referring to the posting type. It's the requirement for the Gen. Product Posting Group & Gen. Business Posting Group setup. So if I'm posting a purchase order directly to a GL account I shouldn't have to do General Posting Setup up for Bus. & Prod. I know that to be the case for other companies that I've set up. This particular UK company is set up for VAT so I'm wondering if it has something specific with VAT.

Nope it is because your setup is wrong. Have you setup the matrix with a blank product group? What is set as default on the GL?
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • Options
    I know this has been a while, but just wanted to add some notes for other's reference.

When VAT in Use field is checked in General Ledger Setup page, when posting invoices, the systems validates Document No. and confirm if the combination of Gen. Bus. Posting Group and Gen. Prod. Posting Group from the document line exists in General Posting Setup.

It may not make sense when G/L Account is selected. However, an easy way to bypass this error is to create a new Gen. Prod. Posting Group, assign it to any Direct Posting Account that will be used directly in Sales or Purchase Document. And also create the combination of all Gen. Bus. Posting Group and the new Gen. Prod. Posting Group in General Posting Setup.