Options

NAV 2009 NAS MSMQ on Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit

GregorDGregorD Member Posts: 26
Hi,

does anyone know, if MSMQ with NAS 2009 works on a 64bit machine?

In the past (4.00 SP3) I already tried this with Windows Server 2003 (64bit), but it never worked. Has anything changed since the last years?

I'm lookig forward to your answers!

Best regards,

Gregor

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I am afraid that MSMQ will not work on 64bit and there will be no change. But I could be wrong, you can ask Microsoft Support for latest status on this. But I think that you will need to change the communication channel for your process. It is not problem to use webservices instead...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    tlarsontlarson Member Posts: 27
    A couple of years ago I attempted to set up NAS with MSMQ on a 64 bit server, and after several rounds going back and forth between our Nav reseller and Microsoft we found out that NAS does not work in 64 bit. It would have been nice for that to be in the documentation. This was with Nav 5.

However, you can have your database server, NAS, and Message Queues all on different servers. If you currently use virtualization, it's a simple matter to create a new VM that is dedicated to NAS and/or Message Queues (NAS is the piece that doesn't run on 64 bit).

To clarify, NAS can run on 64 bit hardware, but it needs for a 32 bit version of Windows Server to be installed.

Tim
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    tlarson wrote:
    To clarify, NAS can run on 64 bit hardware, but it needs for a 32 bit version of Windows Server to be installed.

NAS is running even on 64 bit Windows, only the MSMQ communication libraries are not working under 64bit... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    GregorDGregorD Member Posts: 26
    Hi,

thanks so far - I also made the experience, that the problem is the MSMQ communication library. Not the NAS - NAS Jobs work, as long as they don't need MSMQ...

Hmmm, now I have to find a solution for this...
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    The solution is to use 32 bit OS if you need MSMQ.