Options

NAS "file name contains a char that cannot be used

bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
Hi.

I am installing NAS and following Alain Krikilion's excellent How-To at:

http://www.mibuso.com/howtoinfo.asp?FileID=15

I had no trouble using these instructions a few months ago in an SQL environment. But today I'm on a NAV server installation and am tearing my hair out.

Here is my command line:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\Application Server Live>nas.exe appserve
rname=NAS, NETTYPE=TCP, servername=ABC123, company=XYZ Pilot Company, nettype=
tcp, startupparameter=WHATEVER

(Sorry about the wrapping)

And here is the error:
Date: 08/27/08
- 2:50:43 PM:
2:50:43 PM: Application Server for Microsoft Dynamics NAV version 5.0 SP1 (Bu
ild 26084)
2:50:43 PM: Copyright (c) 1987-2008 Microsoft Corporation
2:50:43 PM:
- 2:50:43 PM: The file name contains a character that may not be used.
2:50:43 PM: Please check the file name. You can find additional information o
n file names in the documentation for your operating system.

I have tried putting quotes around the company name. No good.

I tried a bogus company name with no spaces. No good.

If I leave out the company parameter altogether, I get an error saying it's required.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks' in advance.

Bob

Answers

• Options
    DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi bob,

you have nettype in twice - I wonder does it think it's part on the company name?
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • Options
    Hi Dave.

I was wondering if anyone would notice that =D>

Actually, that is in the How-To under both the SQL and Navision database examples. One is upper-case, and the other is lower - which is sorta meaningless on a Windows platform, but it doesn't do any harm. (I tried removing each and there was no difference.)

I meant to email that observation to Alain at some point, but he'll probably see it now.

Bob
  • Options
    MaximusMaximus Member Posts: 105
    Have you tried the following?

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\Application Server Live\nas.exe" appservername=NAS, NETTYPE=TCP, servername=ABC123, company=XYZ Pilot Company, nettype=
    tcp, startupparameter=WHATEVER

Quotes aroung the filepath and > replaced with \
  • Options
    Oh,

In my 1st post, that huge long path with > at the end was the command prompt. The remainder (nas.exe appservername=NAS, ...) was the actual command I was entering.

Bob
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Which NAV version? Some old versions (2.x) had problems when client was placed into long name folders...

Check that the problem is not on the native DB server (wrong database file path etc.).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    @kine:
    Date: 08/27/08
    - 2:50:43 PM:
    2:50:43 PM: Application Server for Microsoft Dynamics NAV version 5.0 SP1 (Bu
    ild 26084)
    2:50:43 PM: Copyright (c) 1987-2008 Microsoft Corporation
    - 2:50:43 PM: The file name contains a character that may not be used.
    2:50:43 PM: Please check the file name. You can find additional information o
    n file names in the documentation for your operating system.

5.01 ;-)

check following: servername="double quote if servername has Spaces", database="double quote if databasename has Spaces"

to check, if it is a problem with the lenght of the Foldername, as kine said, test with ~1
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    :oops: 8) #-o I need more time to sleep...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    no problem .... coffee ?
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    I've seen it.

It is a message I never had (talking about filename? There is no filename in the parameters).

I would try to put doublequotes almost everywhere:
    nas.exe appservername="NAS", NETTYPE=TCP, servername="ABC123", company="XYZ Pilot Company", startupparameter="WHATEVER"

Try also to run the nas.exe without parameters to see if it still gives the error. If it does. I think something is wrong with the files in the subdirectory. In this case de-install the NAS, re-install it and then copy the files and then retry.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Thanks' to all for your posts.

Ok, I tried putting everything in quotes. No go. Typing nas.exe gave the expected:
    You must specify which server and/or database you want to connect
     to when you start up the Application Server for Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

I have opened a support incident with MS and we'll see what they come up with. In my experience they are very good at solving problems. (I guess they have to be :mrgreen:) Whatever transpires, I'll report it here.

Alain: (If you're there) I'm curious. Why do you have both the nettype and NETTYPE parameters in your examples?

Bob
  • Options
    DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    kine wrote:
    Check that the problem is not on the native DB server (wrong database file path etc.).

Hi Bob

Have you checked this?
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • Options
    Hi Dave.

The NAV server is running fine - BUT the database name does have a space in it. Hmmmmm ...

The trouble is, it's a client's live server and I can't muck with it to see if that's the source of the problem.

However, I'm out of the woods.

It was suggested to me to try using the 'stock' NAS service that was created during the NAS install. (See Alain's How-To
    http://www.mibuso.com/howtoinfo.asp?FileID=15 point 6 for background.) After configuring it's login credentials, I successfully added the server to the Application Server Manager and configured the server and database name. The service started.

So, I'm Ok. It would have been nice to learn something that would help others, but I have to move on since it's up and running.

Thanks' to all who contributed here.

Bob

P.S. I'm curious - how do I add [Solved] to the subject of a thread? Do I just type the subject with [Solved] at the end in the empty 'Subject' field above the reply message body?
  • Options
    No problem Bob,

so please write [SOLVED] infront of the subject in your first post (Button edit on first post).

Regards
  • Options
    Thank's - did it.

For follow-up, I informed MS that the db name has a space in it and that I couldn't test to see if that was the problem. They replied that they would look into it and advise. I'll post here whatever they send me.

Cheers!
  • Options
    bhalpin wrote:
    Alain: (If you're there) I'm curious. Why do you have both the nettype and NETTYPE parameters in your examples?
    :whistle: .... :oops:

Well, euh , I hadn't noticed when I wrote How-to. :oops:
    There is only one needed. It doesn't matter which one.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    Not [Solved] after all.

It turns out that under Server Manager console, the NAS service 'starts', but the same error (File name contains a character that cannot be used) appears in the event log.

I have reopened the support incident, and will post the solution here when it's resolved.

Bob
  • Options
    :-(

I'm very interested, which little :bug: we've not seen :oops:
  • Options
    Update:

Did a 1-hour remote-control/whatever session with MS support rep today. No resolution - they haven't seen this either. Incident escalated to dev team.

Bob
  • Options
    :-k very mysterious
  • Options
    are some NEWS here?
  • Options
    Well folks, an unsatisfying ending.

The server box has two NAV db servers running on it ( a test and a live on), and this problem with NAS was occuring when connecting to the test one. When we tried booting/installing NAS against the live Navision server it worked (and is still working after over a week) perfectly.

Life is (way) too short to figure out why (especially on a client's dime.)

Bob
  • Options
    [Can you change the attribute of the topic to <Solved> (or also <Good Posting>) and remove the text from the title?]
    Please see Forum Rule(s) #3.9: Forum Rules.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    vibaekvibaek Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I have been working on the same error for a long time - I was able to connect with a Classic Client but not the NAS.

but I did find a solution today! :thumbsup:

The problem in my case was, that the service name of the NAV server had double quotes ["] like this: Microsoft Dynamics NAV Database Server "NAVServer:2500"
    When I removed the double quotes in the services name, it work perfect!

Before: Microsoft Dynamics NAV Database Server "NAVServer:2500"
    After: Microsoft Dynamics NAV Database Server NAVServer:2500

Hope someone can use this tip!