Very strange RENAME behaviour

zeninolegzeninoleg Member Posts: 236
Hi Everyone,
I think that i have found something very wierd in NAV 3.70. Here is what I do: I have a custom table where i have to rename some records. But when I call RENAME command with the new values Navision starts to Search some other tables(every time DIFFERENT table) and I get error message: Sales Header Table is not Compiled!
I cannot understand why would NAV search other tables taht have nothing to do with my custom table(i have no even link to any of them). I have also checked the object designer and did not find any table taht is not compiled. ](*,)
I have ran this program on my local DB(it has different data) and it works fine, but SQL gives problem........
First I have suggested that error is coming from somewhere else but debugger stops on the RENAME line. Any ideas?
Best Regards,
Oleg

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    zeninoleg wrote:
    Hi Everyone,
    I think that i have found something very wierd in NAV 3.70. Here is what I do: I have a custom table where i have to rename some records. But when I call RENAME command with the new values Navision starts to Search some other tables(every time DIFFERENT table) and I get error message: Sales Header Table is not Compiled!
    I cannot understand why would NAV search other tables taht have nothing to do with my custom table(i have no even link to any of them). I have also checked the object designer and did not find any table taht is not compiled. ](*,)
    I have ran this program on my local DB(it has different data) and it works fine, but SQL gives problem........
    First I have suggested that error is coming from somewhere else but debugger stops on the RENAME line. Any ideas?

I think that this is a very old Navision bug that I thought had been fixed, but I guess it still hasn't The bug was introduced in 1.1.

Normally you will see this if you have a Field that has table relations to other table, but to a field not in the primary key. The error will only occur if the field is populated, so having different data in each database would explain why it works in one DB and not the other.

The hard part is finding the error, since the error message will generally have no connection to where the actual error is.

Interestingly the upgrade tool kit from 1.0 to 1.1 would actually generate fields and data that would cause this error because of the change of primary key in reports from Object Name to Object Number.
    David Singleton
  • zeninolegzeninoleg Member Posts: 236
    Thanks David,
    So you are saying that Navision looks at all the tables that are related to my table? That is wierd because it is a brand new table. However my table is linked to couple other tables by the non-primary key fields.
    Best Regards,
    Oleg
  • DoomhammerDoomhammer Member Posts: 211
    Hello, does anyone know how to fix this problem and identify wrong relation field? I ran to this problem after upgrade our customer to SQL from native DB. in test environment, there was no problem, but we had old data.

NAV version is 5.0, last product DVD 5.0.30488. I tried to update to last hotfixed client b 33335 but it did not help. MS said this bug was corrected in KB 2649055. Build 32980. (Wrong error messages when renaming a record on SQL only NAV5).
    I tried hotfix 32980 too but it did not help.

Thanks in advance.

edit, shame on me. somebody imported some test object, which was not compiled, to production database. I forgot to filter all tables to compiled=no because I did not expect this scenario :)
    Martin Bokůvka, AxiomProvis