Custom Paper Size in Reports

JohnieGJohnieG Member Posts: 56
Hi all,
I have a general question about paper sizes in Navision reports. It seems like the several options in the paper size option list are predefined and somehow irrelevant to the system's supported paper sizes. Is that correct? And if that so, is there any way that someone could add a specific paper size to that option list?

My problem occured when i was trying to design a retail sales receipt for a thermal printer. The dimensions of the receipt are 79mmX131mm and I was unable to find a known paper size that could cover my needs. So I decided to create a custom paper size in my printer (EPSON TM-T88IV).

Trying to print through Navision I discovered that unfortunatelly I was unable to select the custom paper size that i had just created. (Needless to say that i have tried to print through Word and my printer worked excellent with the specific paper size!) ](*,) A good solution seemed to me to set the Use System Printer Property to YES, the PaperSize property to Undefined and to make the thermal printer the default printer. But that would cause all the other Navision Reports to be printed in 79mmX131mm.

I am feeling that i am facing a dead end!!! Is there any way that i can send the report to a specified printer and paper size with code? Or finally is there any other way that I can overcome that general problem?
Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life...

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    you control how it prints etc base on sections. This will take care of the width.

You can control when to issue a page break etc. This will control your lenght.

All have to be done from the report.

Hope this helps.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • awarnawarn Member Posts: 261
    Hi,

What I normally do is add a new printer (or make a copy of your printer) and define the page size in the printer.

Then when you print the report, print to the different printer, that will control the paper size.

To see the difference during preview, add a record to the printer selections table, and the report will look differently based on which printer is selected. This is much more effective and easier (no code needed) than adding code to break / new pages at certain points in the report - that would not control the footer.

No need to reinvent the wheel, just use the pritner settings.

-a
  • JohnieGJohnieG Member Posts: 56
    Thank you all for your replies,
    Ara3n, your advise about the section it might really prove useful. I will try it immediatelly.
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    I'm struggling with a Datamax label printer myself, and I've found that if I set the size both in the Navision report and on the printing dialog the page size then it works. However, the printer dialog does not seems to remember the page size, each time it switches back to default...
  • JohnieGJohnieG Member Posts: 56
    Thank you for reply. It was a mistake on my behalf that I have failed to mention the fact that the report is printing after a Post & Print selection!
    So as far as I know I am unable to control the paper size and the printer output (It is automatically being sent to the default printer). And on the other hand if I set the EPSON as the default printer all the other reports are being previewed in the EPSON's page size (something that I really don't want). The best solution for me seems to be a way that I could define ONLY in my report the custom printer and paper size to be printed at but I don't know if that can be done.
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    The printer can be defined on a per-user and per-report level in the Printer Selections form. Awarn's idea on copying the printer, setting the default paper size and assignign this printer to the report might work.

My problem is that I have no idea how to set the default paper size for the printer in a way it remembers it, but I think shouldn't ask that in a Navision forum but from Datamax...
  • awarnawarn Member Posts: 261
    Miklos,

You should be able to set the paper size in the printer settings, that *should* be saved. Other than the width you shouldnt have to make any changes in Navision. I have worked with a number of barcode printers, printing small labels (1''x1'') and large labels (6''x6'') and everything in between. I have never had to change the paper size in the Navision report, only change the printer settings.

Note that many printers, in their setup, define the paper size in more than one place - odd but true. All locations must contain the paper size you are looking for.

Also take a look at http://www.seagullscientific.com/aspx/welcome.aspx

This company sells Bartender label software (which you could also use, but that is a different matter), but also has free printer drivers for lots of different printers. I have found their drivers (even if you don't use the software) to be great to use.

http://www.seagullscientific.com/aspx/thermal_95.aspx

-a