Options

Win a copy of the book Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013

kitikkitik Member Posts: 230
edited 2013-03-31 in General Chat
Over the past year Cristina Nicolàs and I have worked hard to write the book Implementing Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013.

Some of its contents are explained on my last post Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013: architecture & philosophy.

Today I can give one free copy of the book, you can choose whereas to get the eBook or the print copy.
Please note: Winners residing only in the USA and Europe would get a chance to win print copies. Others would be provided with eBook copies only.

How can you win?
To win your copy of this book, all you need to do is come up with a comment highlighting the reason why you would like to win this book. You can use any of those channels to make your comment:
- Write a comment on my blog's post: http://joinnav.wordpress.com/2013/03/14 ... -nav-2013/
- Write a comment on this conversation.
- Publish a tweet containing this text http://link.packtpub.com/aCCk7N @TodoSobreNAV + your comment

Selection of winners
Winners will be selected on the basis of their comment posted. All comments until 31/03/2013 will be taken into account.

Thanks for your interest on the book.
Laura Nicolàs
Author of the book Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013
Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.

Comments

• Options
    JAJJAJ Member Posts: 52
    Hi!

I think the book will be usefull for me in NAV 2013 implementations.

Thanks!
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Congratulations on your book.
    I already bought the bundled paper and ebook combo from PackT, so don't enter me in your drawing.
    I like to encourage NAV authors, so I always buy their books.
    All I need is one idea from a book to more than justify the purchase price.
    I many others who use NAV will feel the same, so we will have an ever increasing library.
  • Options
    hungryandfoolhungryandfool Member Posts: 114
    Hi,

First of all, many congratulations to you for your great book.

I am a budding NAV consultant.
    If I get the chance to win this fantastic book, it will be of great help to me.
    It will help me to have a comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013, thus helping me to take more informed and accurate decisions during my Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 implementations and ultimately resulting to more efficiently implemented NAV systems and much happier and satisfied clients.

Keeping my fingers crossed with the hope that I get the book.
    Once again may congratulations.

Thanks.

Sudi
  • Options
    @David Thanks for your comments :D
    Writting a book like this one is a huge effort, so we really appreciate comments like yours.

@Sudi Thanks.
    You are now on the list, I hope your crossed fingers helps you win the contest :wink:
    Laura Nicolàs
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    Dear Kritik,

First of all thank you for your efforts of writing such a book.

When I started with NAV in 2002 our problem was that the available documentation and trainings did give us the basics only and did not give us a "typical problems and solutions, best practices for common requests, typical problems and mistakes" approach which we had to gain by hard earned experience, to quote Niels Bohr it was "An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very narrow field." - a million tips and tricks were all found out painfully, every time as an embarrassment before a customer etc.

After a few years it was OK and now we are back to this step with the mandatory upgrade to RTC (I would avoid it, but Classic will probably not run properly on future versions of Windows).

Those working at consulting companies, especially the ones who have add-ons, could gain this new RTC experience with fairly low pain, they could take the time to migrate the add-ons in 2009-2010 in a leisurely speed, no stress. I actually did this with an add-on and it was very useful for learning Pages, but we did not do the Reports because this non-hierarchical report designer was so ridiculous for complicated documents with tons of conditional sections, we were waiting for the next version to make more sense.

Now I am on the end-user side, will have to migrate reports (mostly documents, all the other reports which we often use I am converting to use the Excel buffer), will have to train users into accepting to learn everything anew and there are hardly any new features they would use, so it will be extra hard.

I don't even understand the basic philosophy of it. Are we going to install Visual Studio to the terminal server? If not then are we going to give up the lighting fast on the fly report customizations that were always the trademark of the light-weight keep-it-simple philosophy of Navision world, and are we going to do it like the slower world of SAP and other heavyweights, exporting the object, importing on a development PC, making a column broader, exporting it again, uploading? Really weird.

So I think I need the condensed experience of someone else with the new report designer and the making old users accept the new client.
  • Options
    The people making the lightning fast report changes will need to have Visual Studio or the free version installed wherever their NAV client is installed.
    Like Classic, you will have to bring up the designer - instead of sections, you will bring up the report layout. For simple reports, it is easy to make quick changes.
    Document style reports like invoices are more complicated than they need to be since they were developed in NAV 2009 RTC.
    Claus has given us a sample on how to develop the sales invoice using NAV 2013 technology which results in a much cleaner and easier to read layout.
    If you have to do any significant invoice changes, it is probably going to be much easier to start with his example.
    If you are doing a totally new document, star with Claus's example.
    It will scare off some of the end users who made their own report changes in NAV.
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    davmac1 wrote:

Thanks davmac, who is this Claus and where is his example?

(BTW what do you mean by significant changes, changes compared to 2013 standard? This is precisely what makes such migrations so hard is that nobody cares about starting with the 2013 standard but they care about having the same thing they always had in classic. It is the hard part, doing a migration because we are forced to, yet trying to make it so that the users feel as little change as possible. Although perhaps in some cases people can be convinced to start it over.)
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    kitik wrote:
    How can you win?
    To win your copy of this book, all you need to do is come up with a comment highlighting the reason why you would like to win this book. You can use any of those channels to make your comment:
    [...]
    - Write a comment on this conversation.
    I want to read this book ... before NAV 2014 comes out ;-)
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    Thanks davmac, who is this Claus and where is his example?

I guess he is talking about this article: Simplifying Document reports in NAV 2013
    Laura Nicolàs
  • Options
    I want to read this book ... before NAV 2014 comes out ;-)

Sure! I have added you on the list, good luck!
    Laura Nicolàs
  • Options
    I am sorry - I thought everyone developing in NAV 2013 would be up to date on Claus. Claus has published several extremely helpful examples about NAV 2013 reports development. He used to work for Microsoft developing NAV platform and now works for a partner, and continues to publish helpful articles in his blog.
    Following people like Claus will greatly help your NAV 2013 development.

I like to have more information than I need so I can select the pieces that I need.
    There are still plenty of challenges left to solve without re-inventing the wheel!

And, if you don't win the book, buy it - we need to encourage our NAV authors! (And, no I am not related to any of them :D )
  • Options
    bfisher11bfisher11 Member Posts: 7
    I would love to receive a copy of your book and encourage our Tribridge team to pick one up. We are always looking for improved ways to lead implementations effectively and with the most benefit to our customers. NAV 2013 is the best release ever!

Brent
  • Options
    sorenhinrupsorenhinrup Member Posts: 136
    Congratulations on your book!

I would like to win it, because the company I work for pressently are looking to upgrade to Nav 2013. But we have no experience in implementing or upgrading hands on.

This book would be a huge help for us as a company, and myself as a Navision Superuser.
  • Options
    The contest is over... and we have a winner!!

I want to thank all the participants on the contest.

Some of your comments are:

In the blog JoinNAV
    Suresh says...
    I am passionate about Microsoft Dynamics NAV and I am really excited about NAV 2013 and the possibilities it brings up on the plate for customers and solution partners. As a Navision consultant I am looking forward to learn the new features in NAV 2013 and I really think this book will help me to gain that knowledge.

In this forum
    davmac1 says...
    [...] And, if you don't win the book, buy it - we need to encourage our NAV authors! (And, no I am not related to any of them ) [...]<br />
    <br />

In twitter
    @mbarada says...
    link.packtpub.com/aCCk7N @TodoSobreNAV looking to know the way to implement Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013

From all your comments, my wife Rosa has picked a random number and the winner is bfisher11!!

Congratulations Brent. Again, thanks you all for your comments.

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs